Yardman Snowthrower Tecumseh Engine broken spring

Old 01-14-08, 07:09 AM
Yardman Snowthrower Tecumseh Engine broken spring

I have a 1999 Yardman E663H snowthrower with a Tecumseh HMSK100 10HP engine.

The other day I went to use the snowthrower and pulled it back from it's spot in the garage and noticed a broken spring laying on the floor...it is about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter.

I gave a quick look and couldn't see anywhere obvious the spring came from.

The snowblower started and ran, but it seems like the throttle is now either full on no matter where you set the lever (engine runs at high RPMs) or off when you push the lever all the way down.

The snow thrower also loses power when it gets warm (after running 15 minutes or so) - almost dies when hitting not so deep snow - have to pull it back quick and let it rev back up to attack the snow again for 30 seconds or so, then repeat...not fun.

I'm assuming the spring came off the engine somewhere - throttle, governor linkage, etc. but in looking at the Tecumseh manuals, I can't find where the spring would go...and I can't find any service manuals for that model snowthrower anywhere. I have the user's manual, but it's useless.

I bought a replacement spring, but now have no idea where it goes. Anyone out there have any ideas? or even where I could get a manual?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-08, 09:17 AM
Below is a link to the manual for your engine, there is some throttle/governor spring hookups around page 31. Have a good one. Geo
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 01-14-08, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the link to the manual - wish I had it before I sprang for a copy off ebay. Unfortunately figures 19 and 20 on page 31 don't look like my throttle/governor setup - but I can take another look.

I have an HMSK100...which from my reading means horizontal shaft medium frame snow king...which says figures 21, 22, 23, 24, or 25 on page 32 should cover it.

Figure 22 looks the closest to my actual setup - but doesn't show any spring...figure 25 shows a spring, but doesn't look like my setup. I'll study it closer tonite though in case I'm just not seeing it correctly.

Old 01-15-08, 02:19 AM
Do you have the ability to post a pic of the spring? I don't think that what you found is a governor spring, it sounds too large to be one. But I wonder if you don't have a governor issue also coincidently. If you are able to post pics then also take a couple snap shots of the carburetor and linkages area and post them as well so we can see what you have and if anything looks out of place/missing. If no pics are possible then we'll do our best to get you up and running anyhow, it just may be difficult.

Old 01-15-08, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the offer to help...I'll try and get some pics posted up tonight.

Old 01-15-08, 04:22 PM
OK...I was able to get some pics...if they aren't helpful, let me know and I can try to get some other angles or whatever you think would help.

Find them at:
carb
gov2
gov1
spring

Old 01-15-08, 06:12 PM
Spring has nothing to do with carb or RPM's. On the throttle lever there is a screw with a spring. By looking at your picture it looks as though this turned almost all the way in. This is the RPM adjustment on this engine. Back the screw out and yor RPM's will decrease.
As far as what the spring is for it looks like it is for one of your idler pulleys, something belt related is probably not functioning correctly. Go through all the motions and you should find the problem

Old 01-15-08, 06:24 PM
The spring goes to the idler puller attached to the bucket. Remove belt cover you will see it will be loose. The spring goes in the bottom hole and then to the frame.

Here is a link to the diagram

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...end007/mtd.png

Old 01-16-08, 03:52 AM
smallengineguy -

Thanks so much for the tip and especially the diagram. Is there any way a "regular" user can purchase the manual that diagram came from? It's a little small in the link you sent so it's hard to see where the spring really attaches. Maybe once I take the blower apart it'll become readily apparent.

Second question to anyone out there...any ideas why the throttle seems to have no effect on the engine RPMS? Right now the engine shuts off when the throttle is pushed all the way down (as it should) - but anywhere else in its length of travel the engine runs full bore.

One point to bring up....I bought this new in 1999 and the carb hasn't been touched since then...only things I've done is change oil and spark plugs and grease and lube other moving parts. Maybe the carb is due for a good cleaning??? Maybe this is why when it warms up it loses power under load???

Old 01-16-08, 05:23 AM
Here is the link, just enter your model # and choose 1999. Click on Illustrated parts list on the right and then on blower housing.

http://buymtdonline.arinet.com/scrip...19502_-1_19502

Yes the carb is most likely your issue after 8 years. Post your engine numbers and we can get you the correct rebuild kit for it, that and a good bath type cleaning and you should be up and running well. 8 years, that poor engine !

Old 01-16-08, 03:56 PM
Great help so far....I can't thank you enough....engine numbers are:

Model: HMSK100 159439W (H)
Family: XTPXS.3582BF
DOM: 9174 R

Old 01-16-08, 04:37 PM
The carb kit you need is PN#632760B

Old 01-17-08, 02:23 AM
You'll also want to replace the emulsion tube (plastic and in the middle of the carb body going from the bowl chamber to inside the venturi) and is part number 640005. You'll also need to replace the manifold and carb gaskets, part numbers 27915A and 33263, respectively. FYI, the spring is the brake spring for the auger belt idler arm. It goes on the bottom end of the idler arm and pulls the arm over and to the belt/pulley and applies pressure in order to stop the belt when the clutch lever is released.

Old 01-17-08, 03:14 AM
Thanks guys....I'm glad I stumbled on this forum and grateful for helpfull folks like you that frequent it. I'll be picking up the parts and now know where to put the spring (hopefully it goes back in without major disassembly of the unit)

Old 01-18-08, 02:08 AM
The only disassembly needed for the spring installation is to remove the bottom, drive train cover pan (six screws). You'll see the hole at the bottom of the arm in question with the long loop of the spring attaching here and the short loop end attaches to a bolt.

Old 01-18-08, 09:48 AM
Doesn't sound too bad...hopefully get it accomplished over the weekend....we're due for lake effect Sun/Mon

Thanks again...

Old 01-22-08, 04:35 AM
puey61 - once I tipped the blower up onto the auger housing and took off the bottom plate it was a piece of cake to see where the new spring went - thanks for all the help

smallengineguy - did some cleaning and fiddling with the carb and all the linkages and ran some sea foam through the gas tank. Fired it up yesterday (after replacing the spring and receiving about 4 inches of snow) and it ran very well (knock on wood). Hopefully, it'll now get me through the rest of snow season. Thanks for your help posting diagrams and such.