Craftsman Snowblower B&S 12C414 engine

Old 01-14-08, 07:47 AM
Unhappy Craftsman Snowblower B&S 12C414 engine

This was recalled and repaired in summer by a Sears Technican. After first snowfall this year the engine died... The cam shaft gear (plastic) lost 5 teeth and the exhast valve push rod bent(I think it was the exhast one). I have bought replacement parts for this and a gasket kit - question is I saw a post for a Technician manual for Techumse in another post is there one for B&S?

Also any idea why this happened - questions welcome.

I did buy a replacement engine to get me going again but I did not buy it with the Alternator, how hard is that to put on?

Regards

Earl:

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 06:55 AM
Cam Shaft alienment

I now have the cam shaft and push rods for this engine... how do I locate the camshaft in relation to the gear that drives it on the drive shaft. The driveshaft gear is keyed!

Originally Posted by ebh256 View Post
This was recalled and repaired in summer by a Sears Technican. After first snowfall this year the engine died... The cam shaft gear (plastic) lost 5 teeth and the exhast valve push rod bent(I think it was the exhast one). I have bought replacement parts for this and a gasket kit - question is I saw a post for a Technician manual for Techumse in another post is there one for B&S?

Also any idea why this happened - questions welcome.

I did buy a replacement engine to get me going again but I did not buy it with the Alternator, how hard is that to put on?

Regards

Earl:

Old 01-15-08, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Although I'm not familiar with this exact engine, generally briggs engines have a dot on a tooth of one gear, and between the teeth on the mating gear. Line up these dots to time the camshaft.

I don't know of a manual online for that engine, but if you haven't searched yet, you might try..there may be one available.

As to why the problem occurred in the first place...I would suspect high temperature or other factor(s) caused the exhaust valve to stick. This caused the cam to try to move the valve, but it stripped some teeth and bent the pushrod instead.

Search this Thread