Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb. cleaning

KS

01-14-08, 12:45 PM   #1  
Carb. cleaning

I am trying to get an older Paulen chainsaw working again. Will fire only when starting fluid is used. I removed the carborator and cleaned it. The question I have is: should I be able to blow air through it from where the gas line would connect? I am not using an air compressor but a small turkey baster thing. Sure any sort of high pressure would cause damage. Is it common to not be able to notice air going through where the fuel would travel or do I still have a blockage? Would like to know before I assemble it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

OK

01-14-08, 04:26 PM   #2  
A better thing to do, assuming the carb is completely dis-assembled, is to use a carb cleaner spray to spray thru the passages, spraying into all passages will result in spray coming out somewhere else in carb.
(wear safety glasses)
hope this helps,
thanks,

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-14-08, 07:55 PM   #3  
No, air or spray won't go through the carb when it's assembled. The needle is closed and won't open until you crank the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CA

01-27-08, 07:00 AM   #4  
Posted By: trust3752 Is it common to not be able to notice air going through where the fuel would travel or do I still have a blockage?
The fuel passages are extremely tiny, so, blowing air through it will not be "noticeable".

Carb cleaner is always helpful -- use it liberally. Be aware, it can damage paint and some types of rubber.

Be sure to use a new gasket set. Old gaskets are notorious for allowing vacuum leaks (which will drive you crazy!)

Search this Thread