Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troybuilt Tiller

TX

01-14-08, 02:29 PM   #1  
Troybuilt Tiller

Customer brought this tiller to me for repair,said it has no fire at the plug,it has electric start,said he had to turn the key on to get fire to the plug,the battery is no good so he pulls started it with a rope,I change the points and condenser,and still no fire at the plug,I disconnected the kill wire and still no fire at the plug the points are a .020 I can I bypass all the electrical wires and get fire to the plug,I disconnected the wires at the switch,still no fire.The MODEL #HH60 105116H SER.4163D TECUMSEH 6HP.

Thanks,
Jerry

Sponsored Links

MA

01-14-08, 07:16 PM   #2  
I am confused, if it has spark with the key on what is the problem? With the key off it would be grounded correct?

TX

01-15-08, 02:58 PM   #3  
Sorry smallengineguy if I confused you the problem is there is no spark with the key on now,I replaced the points and condenser,and there is still no fire at the plug.I want to bypass the ingition,and all the wiring and just have a pull rope to start the engine.

Thanks
Jerry

MA

01-15-08, 03:39 PM   #4  
So there was spark with the key on and you changed the points and now there is no spark? Or the reason you changed the points is because there was no spark even with the key on?

There should be a wire coming from the coil out from beneath the engine cover, have you tried disconnecting that and checking for spark? Try a continuity test between the end of that wire and a good ground. If you have continuity pull the flywheel and look for a break in the wire and it grounding out.

If that checks out and you are sure there are no cuts in wire go back to the points you installed. Did you run some lint free paper through them after installing to take away any oil from your hands? and double check the gap.

Let us know

MI

01-15-08, 05:41 PM   #5  
smallengineguy

he replaced the points and condenser as there was no spark and there still is no spark. he removed the kill wire still no spark. he has them set a .020, removed the wires from the switch still no spark.

MA

01-15-08, 05:50 PM   #6  
Got it. If kill wire is disconnected I would inspect wires carefully between points and coil. Clean points. Check connection on spark plug boot. Next replace coil.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-15-08, 06:34 PM   #7  
Has the plate that the coil mounts to been moved? You might try making sure the timing is set correctly before replacing the coil. On this engine, it is a little involved to check the timing, but it is critical that it's set correctly or it won't spark.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

01-16-08, 03:58 PM   #8  
The stator plate,does not seem to be tampered with,I will have have to get back with you in a few days,I am having back trouble and unable to look at the tiller at this time.Thanks for a'll your replies.

Jerry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-16-08, 06:25 PM   #9  
I hope your back gets better soon. 'til then...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread