Craftsmen Snowblower Problem Need Help

Old 01-14-08, 04:22 PM
Craftsmen Snowblower Problem Need Help

My 9hp Craftsmen snowblower won't throw snow the impeller gets clogged and I chaged the belt but it didn't make a difference. Both shear pins are fine and the auger spins. I am wondering if it is something in the gear box or if there is a keyway on one of the shafts where the pullies are. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-08, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by kcann88 View Post
My 9hp Craftsmen snowblower won't throw snow the impeller gets clogged and I chaged the belt but it didn't make a difference. Both shear pins are fine and the auger spins. I am wondering if it is something in the gear box or if there is a keyway on one of the shafts where the pullies are. Any suggestions?

Please post model # but start here.
With the machine off and spark plug disconnected try spinning impeller. If it spins freely the roll pin(s) that attaches it to the shaft may have broken. If that checks out try to see if augers are turning while the bucket is full of snow. Usually when either your worm gear or shaft is worn the augers will stop spinning under load. And to answer your question there is a keyway to the auger pulley but is the augers are turning that is most likely not your problem. Start with the impeller's connection to the shaft.

Old 01-15-08, 02:07 AM
Just for clarification and one further diagnosis, the impeller fan (second stage) should not spin freely, you will likely find resistance. What you're most interested in determining is if the impeller fan and its' shaft are turning as one and if this, in turn, spins the auger collectors. The next step I suggest is attempting to spin the auger collectors, you should not be able to due to excessive gearbox resistance, if the gearbox is OK. If the collectors spin easily then you most likely have a problem in the gearbox. Post back with your findings as well as the model and serial numbers off the chassis.

Old 01-15-08, 04:35 PM
Snowblower Model #

Model no. is 536.886260 I quickly just looked at it and I turned the upper pully with my hand and the impeller and augers turn. I can't turn the auger by hand. I am not totally sure but I think I may have to get the right belt the one I got I think is too tight. I won't be able to really dig into it until saturday so I will let you know. Thanks for the help

Old 01-15-08, 06:54 PM
If you think you're belt is too tight, It wouldn't stop throwing snow. If the impeller housing is full of snow, I think the impeller isn't turning properly. Can you verify it's the impeller housing full of snow, or the front part where the augers are thats full... Just to clarify the terminoligy, Thats all..Get a second person @ a safe distance to verify the augers are turning. A stripped auger gear box can fool you with it's "Slip & Grip" ability when it's under a load..Good Luck, Roger