9hp Kawasaki wont start

Old 01-15-08, 02:01 PM
9hp Kawasaki wont start

Hi all.
I have a 1999 287cc (9hp) Kawasaki 5000AS generator that wont start. Although its old, the engine only has roughly 15 hours run time.
The engine wont start when its cold. Ive checked the obvious, new fuel, oil level, Just replaced the battery. When/if it starts it runs fine. The auto choke is working. I have pulled the bowl and the fuel screen and both are fine.
It cranks and cranks and eventually starts backfiring through the carb.
Im assuming it has spark and since it runs when its warm, ( also starts with starter fluid) Im not suspecting the igniter.
Can someone give me some in site into possible problems? I am mechanically inclined but know very little about small engines.
Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 02:02 PM
sounds like the carb is bad and needs cleaning or a rebuild.

Old 01-15-08, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the fuel fresh? It could be as simple as that. If not, it could be some varnish in the carb passages making it run lust lean enough that it doesn't want to start cold (when the richest conditions are required). I do suspect it has to do with the carb. Even though it seems to be carb related, and the ignition appears to be working correctly, I'd put in a new plug to be safe. Kawasakis are finicky when it comes to spark plugs, and they can do some pretty wierd things.

Old 01-15-08, 07:07 PM
A 9 year old gas engine with 15 hours on it is likley in need of a carb soak in the carb bath-tub spa (I need a spa holiday ,too, LOL) Try that & put a kit in it & I'll think you should be good to go!!! Good Luck, Roger

Old 01-16-08, 10:45 AM
The spa sounds great!!! I think I will try some carb cleaner in the fuel bowl and hope to pull that through the system and clean it out.
Thanks for all your help

Old 01-16-08, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can try it that way, and maybe it will work if you're lucky. If not, I suggest using a bath type carb cleaner, and remove the carb and soak it in that. I think that's what it's going to take, but it won't hurt to try the cleaner in the bowl.

Old 01-17-08, 01:04 PM
I managed to get it started. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the fuel line then reconnected and started ( with a little help) It didnt run great (surging). I think maybe the gas is bad. Ill run out the tank and try fresh stuff with fuel system cleaner.

One other thing. Under what conditions does the fuel shut off solenoid shut?

Thanks

Old 01-17-08, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It opens when the key is turned on, and closes when it's turned off.

I think you'd be way ahead to go ahead and just take the bowl off and clean it, at least.

Old 01-18-08, 09:17 AM
Ive had the bowl off a couple of times, cleaned.
I tried to actuate the solenoid and nothing happens, But the piston moves manually.
Ive tried to use a 12v test light on the wires in all key positions and still no function, or current.
The solenoid valve is in the open position, and the engine does run.
Since its only 16 degrees in the garage ill go turn the heater on and see what I can do today. Thanks again Cheese