Briggs Twin Cyl. 14HP

Old 01-19-08, 09:11 AM
Briggs Twin Cyl. 14HP

I have puchased a used briggs twin opposed 14hp engine on E-Bay, & installed it on my 1987 Gilson YT 12.5 tractor. The engine is model #400707 type 0110 01. I have rebuilt the carb & fuel pump, new ing. modual, installed the cast iron intake manifold (not the 2 piece aluminum) from the original 12.5 hp. The compresion is 110lbs. on both cyl. The engine starts & runs great. My problem is, hesitation with fast acceleration, & engaging the clutch in high gear. With the choke out about 1" it runs fine. The service manual addresses this problem & recommends installing high speed jet # 231500 with 4dots, & I have. That helped a bit, did't solve the problem. I still have to have the choke out a bit. I sprayed carb cleaner around all the gaskets to see if I could find a intake leak. That seems ok. All springs are in place on the governor & is moving freely. Does anybody have any suggestions, HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by jimbo56 View Post
I have puchased a used briggs twin opposed 14hp engine on E-Bay, & installed it on my 1987 Gilson YT 12.5 tractor. The engine is model #400707 type 0110 01. I have rebuilt the carb & fuel pump, new ing. modual, installed the cast iron intake manifold (not the 2 piece aluminum) from the original 12.5 hp. The compresion is 110lbs. on both cyl. The engine starts & runs great. My problem is, hesitation with fast acceleration, & engaging the clutch in high gear. With the choke out about 1" it runs fine. The service manual addresses this problem & recommends installing high speed jet # 231500 with 4dots, & I have. That helped a bit, did't solve the problem. I still have to have the choke out a bit. I sprayed carb cleaner around all the gaskets to see if I could find a intake leak. That seems ok. All springs are in place on the governor & is moving freely. Does anybody have any suggestions, HELP!!!

How did you clean the carb when rebuilding?If you didn't soak it in cleaning acid for a while it is very possiable that one of the tiny holes inside it didn't get fully clean.And also if you didn't have clean fuel in it after rebuilding,your defeating the perpous anyway.

Old 01-19-08, 09:31 AM
How did you clean the carb prior to rebuild ? carb bath or using spray can cleaner ?
Sounds like there is still a fuel restriction somewhere....
thanks,

Old 01-19-08, 09:38 AM
Repair guy

Great minds......etc. ^_^

Old 01-19-08, 04:57 PM
Cool

I herd that man........

Search this Thread