briggs generator

Old 01-20-08, 12:48 AM
briggs generator

i have a old briggs and stratton generator. i just started it today after it has been sitting for a few years. it started and ran fine . but come to find out, it does not produce any elecritcity .if anyone knows what i should do, i would appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-08, 10:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it has been sitting unused for a long time, it could be as simple as needing the fields re-polarized. You'll need to create just a small electrical charge in the field windings to do this. You can plug in a drill, make sure the drill is set to go forward, not reverse, and crank up the generator. Then, while holding the drill trigger, turn the drill chuck in reverse quickly. This should generate enough of a field to polarize the windings and the drill should start up from there. The motor in the drill actually works as a small generator this way and produces enough of a current that the genset will polarize. Of course, be careful to not get anything caught in the drill because it will take off right as you spin it.

If this doesn't work, you may have other problems.

Old 01-23-08, 09:30 PM
thanks cheese for that tip. i tried it and it worked. the generator runs like a champ now.

Search this Thread