Poulan Pro parts interchange

Old 01-20-08, 08:03 AM
Poulan Pro parts interchange

Currently working with some Poulan chainsaws. The standard line (green machines) usually shell out in short time - a real disappointment compared with what they were before Sears took them over. But the Poulan Pro line, with chrome lined cylinders are doing OK.

Most of the "green machines" have a counter part with the same size in the Pro line. Like the 2750/2775 is 46 cc and the Poulan Pro 295 (I believe - it could be 290) is also 46 cc. I have a number of the 2775 and the 2750 with wrecked barrels and pistons.

If possible I would rebuild those with the chrome lined cylinders and pistons from the Pro line. Has anyone had experience with this working?

I know a good source of information on it should be Sears - that doesn't work.

Appreciate any input from your experience on doing this.

Thanks, Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-08, 05:57 AM
Well, to start with, Sears/Craftsman did not take over
Poulan, but a large number of Sears line is made by Poulan/
EHP/Frigidaire/ and so on.
Way back when, Poulan absorbed Pioneer/Partner, and
incorporated some of those models into the Poulan Pro line.

The cause of scored pistons/cyl is due to other reasons
other than construction makeup, like poor design causing air
leaks, etc.

Fish

Old 01-21-08, 10:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fish is right. Sears doesn't make poulan. I suspect a big reason that you see a large amount of green poulans with toasted pistons and cylinders is that they are among the cheapest saws on the market. That's the saw that the first time users and homeowners are going to buy. Those are also the folks who don't get the mix right, let the fuel mix go stale, only run it for minutes at a time never letting it get hot enough to burn out the carbon, don't know where the air filter is, run the saw too lean when the fuel line gets a hole or the carb needs adjusting/repairing, work the saw too hard with a dull chain, etc...

Lots of aluminum bore engines last a long time, no chrome needed. The design is also partially to blame I'm sure (most poulans I've seen do let a lot of un-filtered air into the engine. This increases wear and contributes to carbon buildup.

Old 01-21-08, 10:49 PM
Cheese;
That was a very good response. Have a good one . Geo

Old 01-23-08, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the information on the saws and the ownership of Poulan. I could have gotten that impression from the Craftsman saw made by Poulan. I had heard different comments on the subject, I hadn't researched it farther.

From Fisher I gather the Pro line originates from the Pioneer/Partner line and the components wouldn't interchange. That answers my question on that issue. I had researched some of the components on the Sears parts catalogs and the Poulan machines and the Pro line had some of the same parts. That led me to think about possibly swapping barrels on the two lines.

Concerning the unfiltered air entering the carburetor. Where are you seeing that? That is a recessed edge filter and mounted by two opposed mounting screws. With its cup shape that should allow for a very good seal.

I'm not sure everything I've seen in these saws has to do with abuse by homeowners. Saws in this category have a 120 hours run time (or supposed to). I have three that may have gotten 2 hours - no scrapes - paint new, chain good as new, and the bar looks like it came out of the package. 2 hours should cover the service interval out of the package. Still it has scored cylinders.

I took one of them and put in a new cylinder and piston, ran it for about an hour in last winter and the piston froze. I let it cool down and took it apart - cylinder scored and piston ruined. This performance isn't close to what I have gotten from my 360 Poulan, which happens to still be running.

I know aluminum bore two strokes are everywhere and work fine, but I can't help but think there is problem with the cylinders in these particular saws, either in the tolerances or the metallurgical makeup of the cylinder. The only other thing I can think of is that the cooling is inadequate for them.

Thanks for the info and help,

Bob

Old 01-23-08, 08:46 AM
Improper air/fuel mix-ratios are what causes most piston
scoring, no oil in the fuel mix is the rest. Dirt ingestion/damage is another issue altogether.
You can take a brand new Stihl or Husqvarna or whatever
brand and destroy the piston in under a minute by adjusting
the carb incorrectly. Air leaks can accomplish the same thing
so replacing a piston assy. without determining what caused
the failure, will likely result in another piston failure again.
Air leaks cause the mixture to become too lean fuel wise,
which causes overspeeding, and the fuel mix also helps cool things, as well as being the only source of lubrication, all
of these factors make this extremely critical in the life of
any 2 cycle engine.

Fish

Old 01-23-08, 09:12 AM
In the one I replaced, the carburetor was fine and the engine was running well and the plug coloration was light brown, as it should be. There are limiters on the carburetors on Poulan saws, so you can go so far on incorrect adjustment. Those have to be removed to mess it up too far. These were in place as they are on the other saws.

You can get any saw to over rev with a mixture that's too lean, but when you put a load on it it can't perform at all. A saw or any engine needs fuel in the mixture to pull a load. An air leak in a chainsaw is evident in the idle rpms. I grew up with one of those things in my hand, cutting firewood and hedge posts. Performance problems are pretty evident.

I would have a difficult time accepting that someone who had must bought a saw would try to adjust a carburetor anyway. It should be running correctly out of the box.

Thanks for the response, Fish,

I still think either those barrels are substandard or there's a problem with the cooling in the saw,

Bob