Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens snow thrower service

MA

01-21-08, 06:30 AM   #1  
Ariens snow thrower service

I need to change a belt on my Ariens 724 2 stage.
Manual says to loosen two bottom bolts,and remove two
lower bolts that hold the frame and bucket together and the two sections just separate.
I am having a mind block in that i would think that there are some other parts to disconnect to.
Any comments?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

NH

01-21-08, 11:24 AM   #2  
Yep. That is the easiest way to change the belts. The lower pulleys are connected to the bucket (auger) side. Nothing else connected to the 2 halves.
Just find a way to support the tractor half. You don't want the handle bars laying on the floor cuz then you will have gas leaking on the floor and you could end up with the oil leaking into the cylinder and now you have more problems to deal with.

Posted By: daswede I need to change a belt on my Ariens 724 2 stage.
Manual says to loosen two bottom bolts,and remove two
lower bolts that hold the frame and bucket together and the two sections just separate.
I am having a mind block in that i would think that there are some other parts to disconnect to.
Any comments?
Thanks

MA

01-21-08, 11:31 AM   #3  
Thanks indypower500
If it ever gets warmer here i'll do it.

MA

01-21-08, 03:30 PM   #4  
You will need to disconnect the chute crank first, 1/2 inch bolt. The Ariens manual suggests tipping machine back on handle bars and then unbolting the 2 bolts holding tractor to bucket, 9/16th bolts. The botton will then pivot on 2 hooks and machine will split in 2. I do all of the ariens this way and have never had gas leak and it is not a severe pitch the oil could get into the cylinder this way. There is a much greater risk of that when standing machine on augers which is also factory recommended when accessing bottom for service. Ariens also recomends tipping back on handle bars to cahnge and fill gear case oil. Once you have machine split changing belts is simple.

MA

01-22-08, 06:05 AM   #5  
Thanks for the info. I was wondering how one would align the bucket and frame when re-assembling. The hooks explain that.
I guess i have been lucky in That i Have tipped the machine up on the bucket service position and haven't had any issues with oil.

Search this Thread