Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl MS290 chain brake repair

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

KY

01-23-08, 02:32 PM   #1  
Stihl MS290 chain brake repair

I recently picked up a Stihl MS290 on Ebay at what I would consider quite a deal. The lady had it listed as "for parts" The reason she listed it that way was because the chain brake handle is broken off and there was a crack in the rear handle. SOB runs like its brand new though. She told me that anyway. Thing looks great and runs great. How much trouble is it to repair that chain brake? She told me they have used it that way for well over a year but for safety's sake, I thought it might be wise. Thanks

Sponsored Links

AL

01-23-08, 03:21 PM   #2  
Posted By: sansert The reason she listed it that way was because the chain brake handle is broken off and there was a crack in the rear handle.

You're smart to want to fix the chain brake for safty reasons,but as life would have it you can't get just buy the handle.You have to order the whole clutch cover assy.which a new one is pretty expensive $60.00-$70.00 or more.You might find a used one on a junker. But I recomed that you get one.That is probiablly how come they was using it that way in the first place (when all is all said and done)

KY

01-23-08, 08:07 PM   #3  
Not sure why I would need a clutch cover assembly. I opened her up and looked at what was going on. The chain brake itself is still intact and actually will function if I push whats left of the handle itself forward. Looks like a simple handle change out to me. Am I missing something?? Thanks for your help

AL

01-24-08, 10:32 AM   #4  
I just repair um, And report what I find, I dont sell the parts. You cant get the handle without ordering the whole clutch cover assy.

I knowIt sounds crazy to me too. BUT.thats just the way it is. The world revolves around money these days, Sorry.

KY

01-24-08, 11:55 AM   #5  
The part number for just the brake lever itself is #1127-792-9100, and it retails for @ $21, you don't have to buy anything else. Yiou can get them on e-bay a lot cheaper.

Fish

KY

01-25-08, 01:41 PM   #6  
Fish,

picked one up here locally for $21 bucks like you said. Thats all I needed was the handle and it went in pretty fast. Took me about 15 minutes to change it out. I will keep an eye out for you like I told you

Search this Thread