Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears Snowblower: Brake release question

NY

01-27-08, 07:24 AM   #1  
Sears Snowblower: Brake release question

I ran into a LARGE rock the other day, and sheared a pin and broke the auger drive belt on my 15 year old sears blower.
I replaced the pin and belt, but 1st attempt to use it and the belt came off.
I replaced the belt and the blower worked fine....for about a ten foot run!
The the NEW belt broke!
It appears that the roller bushing, on the same plate as the belt tensioner pully, is just rolling under the brake release arm, rather than LIFTING it.......as if the bushing were too small to raies the brake release arm.
I'm wondering.....is the bushing that rolls under the arm to release the brake supposed to be almost the same size as the stud that it rotates on, or was it once a larger diameter wheel that has broken off? I didn't fine any debris in the chasis or see any "break off" marks on this small bushing.
Thanks!.....we get a LOT of snow in NY!

Sponsored Links

CO

01-27-08, 10:28 AM   #2  
Need Model number please

If you post the model number of your snow blower than we can offer more help.

AJ

Non-US

01-27-08, 02:26 PM   #3  
There are many posibilities & without a model # we don't know what you have. Make sure the belt is routed BETWEEN the auger brake & the pulley. Also make sure ALL the belt "Fingers" are adjusted correct & the belt is under them. Use an OEM belt, as the aftermarket ones may have different dimensions. Verify all the tension & idler wheels are turning free & smooth. Thats about all I can think of for now. Post a model & serial # & the pros will solve it for you!!! Good Luck, Roger

NY

01-27-08, 04:52 PM   #4  
Model number

Sorry folks....I never thought I'd find a model number on this old blower, but I DID.
It is: 536-886622
Also.......Since the old belt broke, I didn't know for sure how to route it when it came to the brake. Trying to picture it under the nylon brake wedge.......seems like an odd pathway to take, but If I don't hear differently I'll go that way.
Thanks for the help guys!

MA

01-27-08, 05:08 PM   #5  
Many people get confused when routing belts. I believe your right handle is for the auger. Tie that handle in the on position. This will pull brake off of auger pulley. (the purpose of the brake is to stop the pully when you relase the handle so augers stop turning). Now run belt under and aroung auger pulley and now release handle. Brake will press against belt and hold in place. Now run belt so the outside of the belt will run against small idler pulley on brake arm, then around pulley on engine. Before you put belt cover on and start engine look at belt, it should be loose. Now squezze handle and pulley should press against belt to tighten. If all looks good you should be all set. Good luck.

NY

01-27-08, 05:30 PM   #6  
Thanks SEG...

but that's where the problem comes in. When I pull the engage lever, the roller that LOOKS like it should raise the wedge DOESN'T....it just rolls along the underside of the arm that the braking wedge is on. Doesn't seem to be large enough to raise the brake arm.

MA

01-28-08, 05:12 AM   #7  
On the arm that the brake is on do you see a spring? There should be a hole in the arm just below the brake pad with a spring. If not look to see if there is a spring connected to the frame and just hanging. It sounds like the spring has broken or come off.

NY

01-28-08, 05:52 AM   #8  
the spring

Yes, there is a spring on the brake lever. Hard to describe without pics, but imagine holding a 10" long piece of 1/8" flatstock, 1 1/2" wide in both hands. on one end picture the brake, and half way to the other end put the spring, attached to the chassis below. The remaining length is "wave shaped" on the bottom edge, and THIS is where the roller moves inward to raise the brake, but doesn't.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by SwaMan; 01-28-08 at 06:20 AM.

MA

01-28-08, 03:37 PM   #9  
Have you gone to the sears site to look at the diagrams? If not go to www3.sears.com. Enter yor model number in the box on the top left and then click on models. Pull up the various diagrams and see if that helps you, I am having a hard time picturing what you are describing.

Search this Thread