Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 42 in rider 917.270815

01-28-08, 12:43 PM   #1  
Craftsman 42 in rider 917.270815

It seems to have a suicide clutch, and today I was snow blowing and the clutch couldn't stop the mower so I pulled it out of gear, and now it won't go into reverse. I believe I now have two problems. Any advice?

Sponsored Links

AL

01-28-08, 08:09 PM   #2  
As far as the suicide clutch goes,the clutch doubles as the break.Push it down a little it Loosens the drive belt.push it in all the way it applys the break.Look under the mower while moving the clutch peddle and see if the linkage is moning.Sounds to me that the linkage isn't moving far enough to move the break lever or the break pads are wore out.The pads is located on the right side of the transmission (as you're sitting on the mower seat).And the linkage adjustment nut (1/2 or 9/16"")is right behind that.

And about it not going into reverse,is the shifter lever going to the reverse symbol on the floor board?

01-29-08, 09:51 AM   #3  
clutch & no reverse

The brake does work when the pedal is pushed down. The difference between the belt engaging and disengaing is about the last half inch of pedal movement. I have replaced the belt but it made no difference.
On the no reverse problem, the shifter moves all the way to the reverse position, but no reverse. I tried readjusting the linkage thinking it had slipped, but that did not help. Is it possible that the shift linkage inside the transaxle has a problem?

WI

01-29-08, 11:02 AM   #4  
Kohler Engine backfire

I have Ingersol tractor with 14 hp kohler,I was blowing snow and hit seam between asphalt and concrete apron. Tractor shut off,no restart,no spark,no power to coil.Put jumper from battery to coil.started and ran. Finished blowing , no problem. Used the next day,ran 2 min.shut off.no spark.Found spring on points blue(overheated),found ignition fuse blown.Replaced points,ignition coil,condensor on coil.Started right away,but backfires out of exhaust now over 1/4 throttle or under load,seems better if choke is partially on, of course smells rich. Any ideas out there ?

OK

01-29-08, 12:38 PM   #5  
Posted By: yarddogs100 I have Ingersol tractor with 14 hp kohler,I was blowing snow and hit seam between asphalt and concrete apron. Tractor shut off,no restart,no spark,no power to coil.Put jumper from battery to coil.started and ran. Finished blowing , no problem. Used the next day,ran 2 min.shut off.no spark.Found spring on points blue(overheated),found ignition fuse blown.Replaced points,ignition coil,condensor on coil.Started right away,but backfires out of exhaust now over 1/4 throttle or under load,seems better if choke is partially on, of course smells rich. Any ideas out there ?
It would be better if you would start a separate new thread so as not to confuse your problem with WSCSCS's,
thanks,

OK

01-29-08, 12:55 PM   #6  
Posted By: wscscs The brake does work when the pedal is pushed down. The difference between the belt engaging and disengaing is about the last half inch of pedal movement. I have replaced the belt but it made no difference.
On the no reverse problem, the shifter moves all the way to the reverse position, but no reverse. I tried readjusting the linkage thinking it had slipped, but that did not help. Is it possible that the shift linkage inside the transaxle has a problem?
Do the forward gears still work??
Your unit shows to use Peerless xmission 206-545C
Put 206-545C in model # box at:
http://www3.sears.com/
for transmission parts diagram.

AL

01-29-08, 05:04 PM   #7  
WSCSCS

The IPL on your tranny shows that you have a 6 speed.
You have already said that you have attempted to adjust the shifter lever. Lets go over this again, Just because if itís not a misaligned shifter lever and the axles and wheels turn in a forward gear the problem is inside the tranny.
Ok follow the shifter down to the left side of the tranny.Take out the 7/16 wrench sized bolt that holds the shifter lever to the shifter yoke. With a 5/16 wrench, then turn the yoke (one click at a time) till you can roll the tractor.This is tne NUTRAL position of the tranny. While holding the shifter lever to NUTRAL on the floorboard align the square hole with the top of the shifter yoke on the tranny and replace the flat washer, lock washer, and bolt.

Try and see if your tractor goes in to reverse now?

02-01-08, 10:33 AM   #8  
trany

I looked at the linkage, and finally disconnected the linkage at the shift lever on top of the transaxle. I started at speed six and rocked the mower to make sure it was in gear, and stepped back through all six gears moving the shift lever right on the trany until I found neutral. Then I went back one more position which should be reverse and the mower was not in reverse gear, it was still free wheeling as if in neutral. I assume that there is something wrong with the reverse gear in the transaxle. Is it worth tearing into the gears, or replace the transaxle???

THanks for your help

OK

02-01-08, 11:56 AM   #9  
In post #6 you can pull up the IPL for your 206-545C Peerless transmission.
You can download the Peerless transaxles service manual from this site:
http://www.cpdonline.com/691218.pdf
Tecumseh/Peerless Motion Driveline Transmissions and Differentials
Your transmission will be covered in Section 10. MST200
71B is the external shifter rod attached to the shift lever you operate.
The shifter fork 10 operates the shift collar 9. As you move the shift lever to select a gear, the shift collar has two shift keys under it and in keyways in the shifter shaft that selects, or locks, a gear.
In this case the shift keys seem to be good enough to select(lock) forward gears but has problem when the reverse gear 83 is selected. 3 possibilities; the locking portion of rev gear 83 is worn, the teeth on gear 83 are worn, or the corresponding gear teeth 82 on the countershaft are worn off.
In any event, it's a labor intensive proposition to remove and disassemble these transaxles.
probably not much help,
but something to consider.
thanks,

02-01-08, 02:36 PM   #10  
transaxle

Thank you so much for your help.
I called Sears and they had the replacement transaxle for $347.22 including freight, so I ordered it.

One last question, on the suicide clutch, there must an adjustment on the pedal, or could it be that the Sears replacement belt was the wrong size?

Thanks.

OK

02-01-08, 02:57 PM   #11  
I'd say that's the best move.
well, you got slight tutorial in how they work ^_^,
The drive belt is Sears part # 130801.
You might check the two idler pulleys to see if they are worn on their shafts.
Also, if you're inclined, tear the old one down to see what the problem might have been.
Good luck,

Search this Thread