Kohler engine backfires

Old 01-29-08, 07:33 PM
Kohler engine backfires

I have older Ingersol tractor,14 hp kohler engine. Problem started when blowing snow,hit a seam between aspalt apron and black top drive. Tractor quit,no spark,no crank. no power to coil. Used jumoer wire battery to coil,ran ok. had to jump solenoid,finished blowing. Used the next day ran about 2 min. with jumper on. quit,no spark no pule on coil. spring on points blue (overheated). Replaced coil,points,condensor on coil,sparkplug and igntion switch fuse ?. Runs now but anything over 1/4 throttle will seem to miss then backfire out of exhaust,worse under load. Seems a little better with choke on slightly. Ant hepl appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-08, 08:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you still running it with the jumper wire? Sounds like you may have a bad resistor at the coil (if equipped). This could also explain the hot points, but I expect the hot points was more due to power being left on the coil with the points closed/engine not running..

Old 01-30-08, 04:53 AM
Kohler backfire

No I'm not using a jumper wire anymore.

Old 01-30-08, 06:47 AM
Did you replace the flywheel key? Sounds like it may be slightly sheared. While you have it apart check the points and condensor.

Old 01-30-08, 10:12 AM
Try regapping the points to .018

Old 02-12-08, 01:43 PM
Kohler backfire

Points were ok. checked key and keyway.all ok. found seat for intake valve loose. repaired that, still act up. seems like engine quits then comes back on. sometimes will backfire after this. This all started after hitting a lip of driveway with snowblower . Any more ideas. has new points,coil,condensor,sparkplug. also seems to run a little better if choke is part way on ???????

Old 02-12-08, 04:40 PM
A in-line spark tester would be well worth the money right now in determining for sure if the problem is ignition or fuel related.

But, This still sounds like a problem with the points.

They should be gaped at .020", Did you clean the contacts after installing ?

Spray carb choke cleaner on a business card, With them in the closed position spring them open with a screw driver then insert the card. Let the points close on the card then pull it out, Do this a few times in different places on the card.

I have also pulled brand new points out of the package I couldn't get to work properly but a second set worked fine.

How did you go about repairing this loose valve seat and did you inspect the seat and valve face then lap it back in ?

Old 02-14-08, 11:29 AM
Kohler backfire

Repaired loose seat by staking,valve & seat ok. Cleaned points suggested, still doing it. This only happens under higher rpm's or under laod. Egnine will almost stall when run at low/med rpm. Soon as heavier load applied almost stalls.
how about governor problem. How does it work ??? Does it advance spark ??

Old 02-14-08, 11:37 AM
kohler backfire

I don't have a spark tester. Problem happens at higher rpm's or under heavier load. Cleaned points , still does it. Usually work at low/med rpm,engine will start to die out,taking load off rpm comes back. How about govenor, how does it work? Does it advance spark ? Only backfires under high rpm.

Old 02-14-08, 06:40 PM
You can check/adjust the governor as below, It has nothing to do with ignition timing but could be the bogging problem.

1. Rotate throttle plate linkage from idle position to full throttle position. Note direction of rotation of the governor arm attached to the throttle linkage.

2 . Loosen screw holding governor arm to governor crank.

3. Place and hold the linkage in high speed position.

4. While holding the linkage in this position, Use a appropriate tool to rotate the governor shaft until it stops in the direction noted in step 2.

5. tighten screw holding governor lever to governor crank. Torque to 35-45
in. lbs. (2.8-5.0 NM).

6. Before starting engine, Manually actuate governor linkage to check for binding.

Old 02-18-08, 05:02 PM
kohler bacfire

Thanks. Govenor was ok. Borrowed a spark tester. Spark is cutting out.What I believe is cylinder is getting flooded, when spark comes back, cylinder burns excess gas - backfire-. The higher the rpm the worse it is. I have new points,pulled and cleaned,reset 16 then 18,then 20 no difference. Bypassed all safety switches.Still did it. Checked wiring all that i can see looks ok.wiggled/pushed/pulled on wiring while missing no difference. Tried original coil ,same problem. Also ignition fuse blew twice while blowing snow ( in 1 hours time). Where can I get ignition Wiring diagram for mid 80's Ingersol 224,14 horse,electric start, hydr drive ? Or any suggestions greatly apprectiated. Thanks again. Darrel

Old 02-18-08, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Connect a test light to the positive side of the coil and run it. Make sure the light remains lit. If it's flashing, there is a power supply problem...probably loose connection somewhere. The symptom does sound a lot like a loose valve seat. Are you sure it didn't come back loose?

Old 03-22-09, 08:19 AM
I think you have a bad condenser. When you replaced the points did you also replace the condenser. Thats why the points turned blue. Troy