Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

spray paint hardening?

FL

01-30-08, 07:53 AM   #1  
spray paint hardening?

I am going to spray paint an electric motor, after sanding to get the rust off. Spray paint is handy, but it never seems to dry hard enough to be scratch resistant. Any suggestions on hardening spray paint?

Sponsored Links

PA

01-30-08, 08:10 AM   #2  
I use a 100 watt incadescent light bulb in a reflective shade to kinda bake the paint dry. I use the cheap clamp on work lights with the aluminum shades.

Super Moderator

AZ

01-30-08, 08:16 AM   #3  
paint

the spray appliance epoxy dries hard, but not sure if you could get it in a color you need. It does take a loooonnng time to dry/cure as well.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-30-08, 11:20 AM   #4  
Ya, letting it cure is the main thing. It takes the paint a lot longer to cure than it does to dry.

The only other alternative would be to paint with an industrial enamel or an automotive type paint - probably over kill

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

01-30-08, 03:04 PM   #5  
Posted By: laflaone I am going to spray paint an electric motor, after sanding to get the rust off. Spray paint is handy, but it never seems to dry hard enough to be scratch resistant. Any suggestions on hardening spray paint?
Put like 3 or 4 coats on it thin a 1 or 2 coats of clear coat hope this helps Joe

FL

01-31-08, 04:55 AM   #6  
Thanks to you 4 for your replys. Some good ideas.

Search this Thread