Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Break-in/Propane ?

CAL

02-01-08, 09:06 AM   #1  
Break-in/Propane ?

I have a new generator I just picked up with a Yamaha MZ300 engine (10 horse). It's a Powermate 5700. I see very little information on Yamaha engines outside of Yamaha branded equipment, maybe that's why I got it so cheap.

I have converted it to tri-fuel and am burning propane in it now. I have read different places that it should be broken in using gasoline is this true or is it a myth? I have around 5 hours on it right now most of that was with gasoline except the last hour or so. If this is true how much gasoline should I run through it before switching it to run mostly propand or NG?

Thanks, Jack

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-01-08, 09:27 PM   #2  
I don't know. I would suspect gas could theoretically aid by providing a small amount of upper cylinder lubrication, and a means to wash out the tiny particles created during the breakin process. I consider most bigger small engines well broken in at around 40-50 hours. Some cheaper little engines break in much more quickly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CAL

02-02-08, 09:21 AM   #3  
I'm like you in this one I can't think of any reason why it couldn't break in on propane as well as it could on gasoline. There are engines that never run any thing but propane. Are they made different some how? Probably not I would think.

Another question. I am running 10w40 full synthetic in it. The manual calls for 10w30 for every thing except when the temperature is above 95. I know it's not that hot right now but I think I should be able to use this oil year around here where the temperature gets up to 120 in the summer and never much below 40 in the winter.

What are your thoughts on the weight of this oil for me to use? It is OK to use full synthetic in a small engine? Should I break it in more before I use the synthetic oil?

Thanks in advance, Jack

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-02-08, 10:59 PM   #4  
Most engines that run on propane are converted gas engines. Nothing much different other than fuel delivery/metering components. I'd still reccomend breaking it in on regular gas.

You also don't want to run the synthetic in it until it is broken in on regular oil. Then, I'd go to 10w-30 full synthetic.

The first moments of an engine's life can have a huge impact on the rest of it's life. I suggest breaking it in conventionally.

God bless!

CAL

02-03-08, 01:07 PM   #5  
cheese,

You are saying that you think I should run it on gasoline and conventional oil for about the first 50 or so hours? I should use straight 30w or 10w30 and not use the 10w40 at all even after the break-in?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-04-08, 12:16 AM   #6  
Yep...that's probably about what I'd do if it was mine.

God bless!

Search this Thread