tecumseh won't start on sn-blwer

Old 02-02-08, 03:13 AM
tecumseh won't start on sn-blwer

i have a 5 hp tecumseh on my snowblower and 6" of snow in the on the driveway. This girl just won't start. This machine was given to me. So this is my first season with it. My father in-law had it running this summer and sort of winterized it, or summerized it might be better said. I couldn't get it started the first snow we had. He came over and we tried using starting fluid to get it going. we also messed with the adjustment on the bottom of that gas bowl thingy. Well we realized we were both idiots when we figured out that he turned the gas off in the summer. It has new gas and a new plug. I have gotten it started on 2 out of many occasions. I keep adjusting the screw under the gas bowl. I'm sure this is my problem. Thank you in advance for any advice you may send my way.

hg

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-08, 03:54 AM
If carb is not dirty, then you should be able to start it by unscrewing the adjusment needle valve (the thingy you've been playing with) 2 1/2 turns out from fully seated. Once up and running and warmed up, you would fine tune this to get the proper mixture. Once set, don't touch this again. Typically, if you thing you need to touch this, it is usually something else, like plugged orifices on the inside.

Old 02-02-08, 06:26 AM
Actually as a quick fix I would try this. Shut gas off. Stand machine on augers. Remove the nut that the needle you have been playing with is in. You can now remove carb bowl also, float should not drop with machine up on augers. Clean out bowl. Remove screw from nut you removed and clean the hole on the bottom and there is also a very small hole 3/4 way up on the threads. Clean this. Clean the needle itself. Now re-install nut and needle. tighten needle finger tight and the back out 1 1/2 turns not 2 1/2. That is the tecumseh spec. Once up to running temp if it bogs under load at all you can tweak that adjustment. Note we are talking about most likely 1/8 to 1/4 turn in either direction don't just start turning. You should have a 2nd screw with a spring going into side of carb. This should be backed out 1 full turn after hand tightened. If you still have problems post back with engine numbers and we can give you correct rebuild kit PN# Good luck

Old 02-02-08, 06:34 AM
When my old push mower used to be a pain starting in the summer, I'd take the foam filter out, make sure it was reasonably clean, then spray it,(wet it, not soak it) with WD-40, as well as spray a little inside the throat of the carburetor, give it a few pulls, and away she'd go. Your carb may very well be gummed up too much, but I would give this a try first. If that didn't work, i'd spray some in the spark plug hole, let it sit for a few minutes, then pull it over until it pretty well blew all the WD out the hole, put plug back in and try it. My thinking was dry cylinder walls, dry piston rings, could very easily result in a low compression situation, and thinking if compression was a little low, so would the intake (vacuum ) pressure needed to draw the proper amount of fuel through the carb, intake etc. If that didn't work, I'd squirt some light oil into spark plug hole, and let sit, then slowly crank engine over to distribute oil evenly on cylinder walls, then try WD-40, as a starter fluid. Remember, quick start can wash your cylinder walls down worse than raw gas, so if you've tried quite a bit of it, it could be pretty dry in there. I found WD-40 works good on any gas engine, is safer, and seems to provide that much needed bit of lubrication temporarily as needed to help with compression, and help to release any partially seized rings from sitting. No I'm not a salesman for WD-40, all I can say is it works good for me in those situations.

Old 02-02-08, 09:00 AM
Won't stay running

I have probably the same engine, but my problem is not with it not starting, but I can't keep it running for a period of time. When it is cold, it starts on the first pull and will run between 5 and 15 minutes. But after that, it seems like it is starving for fuel. When it starts to die, sometimes I can shake it back and forth and it will run for a short time later.
I took the fuel bowl off and cleaned it out, but this didn't correct the problem. My engine is about 5 years old. I suspect I need to clean the carburetor, but I am not sure how.
Any ideas?

Old 02-02-08, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by SteveJackson View Post
I have probably the same engine, but my problem is not with it not starting, but I can't keep it running for a period of time. When it is cold, it starts on the first pull and will run between 5 and 15 minutes. But after that, it seems like it is starving for fuel. When it starts to die, sometimes I can shake it back and forth and it will run for a short time later.
I took the fuel bowl off and cleaned it out, but this didn't correct the problem. My engine is about 5 years old. I suspect I need to clean the carburetor, but I am not sure how.
Any ideas?
There are several things that can be happening when an engine runs good until it gets good and warmed up. One is the gas cap vent is plugged not allowing air to replace used up gas. Next time this happens loosen the gas cap when it starts to falter.
Knowing the model, spec of engine is always a help.
thanks,

Old 02-02-08, 09:20 AM
Glenn,
Thanks. I will try that.
FYI. It is a Tecumseh HSK845 (2 cycle - 4.5HP).

Old 02-02-08, 11:18 AM
Just a follow up to the gas cap, also look at the inside of the cap to be sure the aluminum cone did not fall into the tank. When this happens it often takes a few minutes for it to be drawn over to the outlet of the tank and then it can cover the screen and restrict the gas flow,

Old 02-02-08, 03:02 PM
Thanks.
I thought similar, like a stone or something else clogging the inside of the fuel tank. I actually emptied the tank of fuel, took it completely off and emptied it out just to make sure nothing was inside it.
Someone told me that it could be the gas is gumming up in the carburettor and clogging up the ports. I haven't ventured to take apart of carburettor yet. I was hoping to avoid that.
Do you think fuel injector cleaner would dissolve the gum or will I have to take the carburettor apart?

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-02-08, 03:54 PM
Clean the Bowl Nut(main jet) I usually use the wire from a twist tie. Refer to the picture below. Have a good one. Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

Search this Thread