Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

8hp MTD snowblower ignition problem?

CO

02-03-08, 02:47 PM   #1  
8hp MTD snowblower ignition problem?

Hopefully someone here has an idea about what I'm experiencing...

I was snowblowing a hour ago, and suddenly the engine stalled. Attempts at restarting resulted in a very occasional "catch" at full throttle and 1/2 choke or less. (warm engine).

Just on a hunch I pulled the spark plug wire to make sure it was firing, and must have just hit the right wire-plug gap and the engine momentarily roared to life - while I held the cap maybe 1/4" away from fully seated on the plug. It must be positioned very precisely to make it run.

I checked the wire, looks good; flexed it a few times and slid it back and forth to rule out any invisible spark shorts. Fuel delivery is fine, primes well.

Any ideas out there? Naturally, it's supposed to snow tonight and through tomorrow...

TIA,

Mike

Sponsored Links

Non-US

02-03-08, 03:47 PM   #2  
What you're doing by holding the wire from the plug is increasing the resistance in the ignition. Now the coil has to generate more voltage to jump the large gap. More voltage will jump a fouled / flooded plug. Coils are lazy, & will only output the voltage required to pass thru a fixed resistance. Throw a new spark plug into it & try it again. I'm thinking this will get you going. Let us know, Thanks. Roger

CO

02-03-08, 04:00 PM   #3  
Thanks, Roger - I'll give it a shot and report back. I suspect my wife may have used it in my weekend absence and have seen it left on full choke in the past...

Mike

CO

02-03-08, 04:37 PM   #4  
ARRGH - Both the spark plug number and model number are illegible - the serial number is 1J064860161, and it's a 1996 8/26 MTD Yard Machines 2-stage snowblower with the Tecumseh engine.

The online parts suppliers won't allow me to search just by serial number, and the model number is obliterated.

Would anyone know what the model number might be for this machine?

Thanks,

Mike

MI

02-03-08, 04:47 PM   #5  
just get a J19LM or RJ19LM model plug or one that replaces that.

OK

02-03-08, 06:19 PM   #6  
Posted By: rattus ARRGH - Both the spark plug number and model number are illegible - the serial number is 1J064860161, and it's a 1996 8/26 MTD Yard Machines 2-stage snowblower with the Tecumseh engine.

The online parts suppliers won't allow me to search just by serial number, and the model number is obliterated.

Would anyone know what the model number might be for this machine?

Thanks,

Mike
This may not be much help, but,

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=m...5219,5456,5468
shows all model nums for 1996 MTD throwers,
you might find IPL to fit yours.
thanks,

CO

02-03-08, 06:40 PM   #7  
Posted By: flirty1 just get a J19LM or RJ19LM model plug or one that replaces that.
Yup - I took it over to the Home Despot (not much else available up here on Sundays)and they seemed to match in terms of insulator nose, gap, threads, etc.

Just a lot paler-looking.

Thanks for the diagnosis, hopkinsr2!

Mike

Search this Thread