Advice Requested: Power Nailers and Circular Saws

Old 02-04-08, 05:22 PM
Question Advice Requested: Power Nailers and Circular Saws

My husband and I have just bought our first home, and now we get a chance to do some of the DIY projects we've been seeing on all the HGTV and other DIY-type tv shows for years now.

Among the list of things we need to purchase as we move into the home are some decent tools for the amateur home DIY-er. We really don't need to buy too many power tools from what I've determined our level of DIY and handyman activity will be, but there are some I know we need, but I'd like to ask the advice of more experienced people as to the type of a couple of power tools we need.

Specifically, a power nailer and an electric circular saw. Most of what we'll be doing is things like building shelves, desks for our office, possibly some storage units for the garage workshop area, replacing baseboards and/or crown molding, and other fairly simple projects for the interior. We'll probably be putting together our own counter area with storage to encompass a gas BBQ grill.

I figure that a portable electric circular saw with the ability to make angle cuts and perhaps a laser guide would be sufficient for a saw, but would like opinions on that.

As for a nailer, we do want to get one, but don't feel our usage or budget would require the big hydraulic ones. I've seen some at our local Home Depot that are electric, which I'm thinking would be okay for us. But there are different types of nailers, and herein lies my confusion. Finishers, brads, and other kinds of nailers. It seems to me that for a more all-purpose nailer that would work for most projects, the finishing nailer might fit our needs? Again, we don't expect to do any major construction, just projects as I mentioned above.

What would you guys suggest for our needs regarding an electric circular saw and an electric nailer?

I appreciate all suggestions, as this is an exciting time for us with a new house, and we look forward to doing some projects ourselves, but want to make sure we have the tools best suited to our needs and budget. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-08, 06:10 PM
This is the outdoor power equipment and small engine area, you would have better luck over in power tool section. Good luck

http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Old 02-04-08, 06:43 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by smallengineguy View Post
This is the outdoor power equipment and small engine area, you would have better luck over in power tool section. Good luck

http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Ah, now see? I even needed to be directed to the proper area, I'm so new at this, lol.

Thanks smallengineguy, I appreciate the redirection, I'll go repost over there.