craftsman parts.

Old 02-06-08, 07:28 AM
craftsman parts.

hello. was looking for parts yesterday and found this web page. Nice web page .
Ok....here is my problem. I have a 1979 Craftsman 20" snow thrower model number 536.918000 i was able to get running like a champ! Now i have another problem, after i got done "throwing snow" i noticed that the impeller stopped turning. I can hear the gears moving but not the chain. I went to tighten the chain and noticed that the Gear spur "42 teeth" is totally worn down . The part is discontinued on the sears web page, i called sears and the part #50121 has been discontinued by the manufacturer. I was advised by sears that no other part except that one would work. Is that true? Anybody have any ideas where i can find the part or know of a similar part that would work? Any info would be greatly appreaceated.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 09:38 AM
The code indicates it a AMF(Murray). You can get the part at Jacks Small engine. Have a good one. Geo
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm

Old 02-06-08, 09:38 AM
On a unit that old????? I seriously doubt if you ever find what your looking for.Unless you can find a junker that someone has for parts.You might try ebay.Or even having a machine shop make you one.

thats all I can come up with----Sorry

Old 02-06-08, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by repair_guy View Post
On a unit that old????? I seriously doubt if you ever find what your looking for.Unless you can find a junker that someone has for parts.You might try ebay.Or even having a machine shop make you one.

thats all I can come up with----Sorry
geo is right they have it

Old 02-06-08, 03:41 PM
Oriinally, te company was Noma, Murray aquired. I will look
in tomorow..............

Old 02-07-08, 07:22 AM
Geo.....You the man!!!

Thanks for the info on where i can find the part. I ordered it this morning. Can wait to get the part and put it back together...... After yesterday's snow and haveing to shovel sure made me miss my "old unit"
Thanks for all the replies that i got to my question.
You all rock!
Thanks again.....

Old 02-11-08, 05:29 AM
Well.... i recieved a e-mail from Jacks Small Engine over the weekend and was notified that they no longer carry the part that i am looking for. Anybody else have any other ideas on where i can find the part? Should i call it quits on trying to fix this unit and just use the motor for something else?

Old 02-11-08, 06:28 AM
Since Briggs & Stratton purchased the Murray inventory several years ago, a real outside chance is they might have it.
Might go to Briggs site and find a customer support, contact us, 800 number to inquire.

Old 02-11-08, 08:43 AM
What is the diameter of the gear and what is the shaft diameter?

Old 02-11-08, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by cac036 View Post
Well.... i recieved a e-mail from Jacks Small Engine over the weekend and was notified that they no longer carry the part that i am looking for. Anybody else have any other ideas on where i can find the part? Should i call it quits on trying to fix this unit and just use the motor for something else?
if you have the $$$$$$$$ you can take the gear to a machine shop and see if they will build you a new one

Old 02-11-08, 12:45 PM
I didnt see anything on the Briggs & Dtratton web site that would be combatible.
I dont have the part with me to get the dimensions on the shaft and sprocket gear.
Seeing that this is an older money i dont know if i want to put that much $$ into it.
I was hoping to find something reasonably priced. When i was pulling it out i was hoping that all i had to do was get a gear and put it back on. even considered on trying to get a shaft of the same diameter and just welding a gear on since i can not find the part.
Any suggestiong?
If i cant get the right part i was thinking of maybe using the motor for a mini bike for the kids?