Simplicity Snowblower Clog Problem

Old 02-08-08, 04:29 PM
Simplicity Snowblower Clog Problem

This past fall I purchased a used Simplicity Landlord tractor with a 42" belt driven single stage snowblower. The snowblower clogs after it has been used for 10 or 15 minutes. The belt is in good condition. I adjusted the belt tension as per the instruction manual and still have the problem. Based on seeing snow spit out the front of the intake hopper the auger continues to turn after the discharge chute clogs. So I don't think the problem is related to inadequate power being delivered to the auger.

In looking over the manual for the snowblower attachment I see that a heat shield is supplied with the hitch assembly. The manual states that for engines with forward facing exhaust (which I have) the heat shield must be installed. When I check the tractor there is no heat shield. I'm wondering if the engine exhaust is warming the discharge chute enough to cause some melting which leads to the clogging. Has anyone had this happen? The muffler port is about 16" from the snowblower chute.

If that is not the problem what else can I check? This tractor has a 16 HP Vanguard twin so I believe there's plenty of power for the snowblower.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-08, 05:19 PM
With a single stage blower, there is a technique that needs to be learned as to keeping the blower full of snow. If not full, the chute can plug. Just takes practice.

Old 02-08-08, 07:53 PM
If that's the case, then why don't I have any problems during the first 10 or 15 minutes of operation? My technique and loading of the snowblower doesn't change during the course of clearing my driveway. After 10 or 15 minutes use it starts to clog and the longer I'm blowing snow the more frequently it clogs.

Old 02-09-08, 05:55 PM
B.Bill,

May I suggest taping/wiring or what ever is necessary to get something between this exhaust and chute to see if that solves your problem ?

Even a little piece of plywood or sheet metal should be fine for the 15/20 mins. needed to find out.

Old 02-10-08, 06:21 PM
I would have to say the exhaust heat is indeed your problem.
Single stage snowblowers suck!! Wet snow will cause clogging even with a 2-stage blower. Hint: spray the chute area with silicone or WD40. This will help a bit. I would still try to fabricate a heat sheild.

Old 02-11-08, 05:45 PM
31YTech & indypower500,

I visited my friendly local Simplicity dealer and he confirmed that the lack of a heat shield is the cause of my problem. He's had a few other customers that did not have a heat shield on Simplicity tractors with forward facing exhaust that had also experienced clogging problems. After installing a heat shield their problems went away. So I bought the heat shield and fasteners and installed it over the weekend. Mother Nature is conveniently providing me with a good test case: tomorrow night we're supposed to get 3-7 inches of snow which will then change over to sleet, freezing rain and then plain rain. Sounds like the potential for a clog fest to me. I will post back on my experiences.

Old 02-11-08, 06:41 PM
Good Luck with the test.....

Old 02-14-08, 04:35 AM
Unfortunately, installing the heat shield did not eliminate the clog problem. Yesterday's snow was certainly a challenge--heavy, water-saturated, slushy snow. The pattern is still the same: snowblower works well with no clogs for the first 15 minutes or so, then it starts to clog. To recap, I have adjusted the belt tension per the owner's manual and the belt is not frayed or worn looking (there's a little glaze on the sides of the belt where it contacts the pulleys). The heat shield I installed is the OEM factory one. The auger turns freely.

What else can I check for? I know that Deere and Simplicity used only single stage blowers for many years. I can't believe they would have been manufactured all that time if they performed like mine does. Something must be amiss but I'm not finding the problem. Help!

Old 02-14-08, 05:50 AM
I would change the belt with a new OEM belt. I have had many 2 stage machines that just don;t throw "right" belts have looked good, no cracks/cut and a new belt has made all the difference.

Old 02-14-08, 04:40 PM
How are the shoes adjusted on the blower? Do you have it adjusted so the scraper bar is on the ground? If so, slide a 1/8" piece of flat stock under it then adjust the shoes to the floor. This helps a whole lot in wet snow as that 1/8" keeps the blower up out of the water. This works 90% of the time. Did not work for me last night after 10" of snow that changed to sleet/freezing rain then all rain for 3 hours. That 3 hours of rain left 1/2" of water under the snow. Blowing was extremely tough!!

Search this Thread