Snowblower won't start

Old 02-09-08, 07:56 AM
Snowblower won't start

MTD 8HP Tecumseh engine (model#HMSK80) won't start. Emptied the gas & drained carb for winter, and gassed up before a november storm threat, started and ran fine. Smelled gas in the garage last weekend and realized it was the snowblower, leaking near carb bowl. Started up snowblower and it ran for about 3 minutes, then died. checked fuel level in tank, and seems to be ok. started again and ran for 10 seconds, now won't start, just keeps cranking.

WHen I push the primer button, feels like only air going through, as if there is a leak and no fuel is being pumped in to the carb. has a similar problem with a gas edger and it needed a new gasket assembly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-08, 01:15 PM
1) Check for leak in carb float. Remove and shake to hear if there is gas inside.

2) Check to be sure gas cap is venting. Also check the the aluminum cone inside the gas cap did not fall in the tank.

Old 02-09-08, 01:49 PM
If you feel no fuel inside the float invest a couple bux and replace the float needle and seat in the bottom of the fuel in-let port. It sounds as if this seat dried out and is now hard and not sealing.

If you do replace the seat make sure the ring on one side goes down toward the bottom of the port.

Good Luck

Old 02-09-08, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by daronson View Post
MTD 8HP Tecumseh engine (model#HMSK80) won't start. Emptied the gas & drained carb for winter, and gassed up before a november storm threat, started and ran fine. Smelled gas in the garage last weekend and realized it was the snowblower, leaking near carb bowl. Started up snowblower and it ran for about 3 minutes, then died. checked fuel level in tank, and seems to be ok. started again and ran for 10 seconds, now won't start, just keeps cranking.

WHen I push the primer button, feels like only air going through, as if there is a leak and no fuel is being pumped in to the carb. has a similar problem with a gas edger and it needed a new gasket assembly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
i had the same problom with my snow blower it is even the same year i replaced the float and evrey thing in the carp and even the carb still did it thin i chaged the plub because i noteced it was foled out try that hope it helps Joe

Old 02-10-08, 04:43 AM
Added a little drygas yesterday and let it sit several hours. Added some fresh gas (gas was from November, and the owners manual recommends emptying out gas if sitting more than 30 days - it sat for almost 3 months) and got it running. Let it run for a few minutes and it seemed to stay running. Will keep you posted if we ever get our first snowstorm!

Thanks everyone for your help.

PS Snowblower is only 4 years old.

Search this Thread