Snow Blower Auger Removal

Old 02-09-08, 12:36 PM
Snow Blower Auger Removal

I have a Craftsman two stage snow blower (made by Murray) and the auger won't turn. The pinion is stripped. I have the gearbox partially apart and can see it. I need to remove the auger from the snow blower to fully take the gearbox apart. I think if I can remove the worm gear shaft from the impeller I will be able to pull out the auger. Is this correct?

The impeller has two spring pins and I have no idea how to remove them. Any ideas? I have pdfs of two pages from the manual that provide detailed diagrams but am not sure how to post...

Help appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-08, 12:48 PM
You need to remove entire auger bucket from tractor. Remove auger pulley. Remove small key in groove on auger shaft. Remove bolts on outside of bucket holding auger bearings on. You can now pull entire unit (augers and impeller) out of bucket. The 2 pins holding impeller on are roll (tension) pins. You drive them out with a punch. You do not have to remove impeller if you take whole unit out.

Are you sure necessary parts are available? Murray is out of business. Briggs bought and some parts are and some are not. Murrays can be tough to do because they are low end machines parts are usually rusted on pretty good. Lots of penetrating oil to get pulley off, and hope that augers are not rusted to shaft as they need to come off to remove gear covers and gear. Good luck

Old 02-09-08, 01:48 PM
Thanks very much. The parts are available at Sears. I'm going to have another look at it and just might take it to a repair shop.... seems like a lot of work...

You indicated Murray was low end... Which snow blowers in you your opinion are best, i.e., high end, well bulit?

Thanks very much for your time....

Old 02-10-08, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by merlot View Post
Thanks very much. The parts are available at Sears. I'm going to have another look at it and just might take it to a repair shop.... seems like a lot of work...

You indicated Murray was low end... Which snow blowers in you your opinion are best, i.e., high end, well bulit?

Thanks very much for your time....
If you decide to repair the unit after you disassemble the box, I would find a dealer that has access for these parts which you will find cost less than from Sears. I noticed the other day when I was doing a cross of the Sears to my Murry parts distributor that most items from Sears were up to two dollar higher than my distributors suggested list price.

You asked which blowers to recommend, well I like the Toro line the best and that goes for parts availablility. Next would be Ariens, if you can find a dealer, then it gets to be a toss up since Briggs has bought up Simplicity. MTD and American Yard Products makes so many different named products that it is getting harder to keep track of them and parts availablility is my biggest concern. With the big snows in the area this year, MTD parts suppliers have not kept up with the demand. Belts have been the biggest failed part and these belts are not even sized or deep "V" that there are no good replacements other the OEM's.