Carburetor Bowl Leak - Tecumseh 9HP

Old 02-10-08, 08:44 AM
Question Carburetor Bowl Leak - Tecumseh 9HP

I have a Craftsman snowthrower with a Tecumseh 9HP engine. Gas was dripping from the bowl drain on the carburetor bowl. I purchased a replacement bowl and drain assembly, and gasket from Sears. I replaced the bowl but now it is leaking from around the gasket. Whether I tighten the bowl nut very tight or just snug, it still leaks. I notice the bowl is made of aluminum (?) it it possible to over tighten the bowl nut?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-08, 09:06 AM
Most likely you have fuel in the float due to a small pin hole. Remove and shake to listen for gas. It could also be caused by the needle not seating properly. If you are going remove float to inspect/replace you might as well install new needle and seat. PN# is 631021B,

Old 02-11-08, 12:39 AM
Is the engine chasing?

Old 02-11-08, 03:50 PM
Chasing, no. When I first put the bowl on, I started the engine and it ran fine. After I shut it off, it leaked. After that, every time I tried to re-install the bowl, it leaked after I primed the engine, so did not try to start it.

Old 02-11-08, 04:49 PM
remove the bowl and lift up the float. does the fuel stop flowing with little pressure if yes then the float is bad if not then it needs a new seat

Old 01-05-09, 01:57 PM
carb leaks when primed - then runs rough

I also have a craftsman 9 hp snowblower - bought it in Dec. 2007.

gas leaks out when I prime, and the engine also runs rough when started.

tried spraying with carb cleaner - any other thoughts. I was told to try a carb cleaner in the gas tank and run it clean. Does this make sense?

thanks in advance for the help.

Old 01-05-09, 02:31 PM
How many times are you priming it? Where is the gas leaking from?

Old 01-06-09, 08:21 AM
prime it 3-4 times. I think it may have been because I had loosened the bottom nut, thinking that would alter the carb/gas flow (like on old carbs).

Just bought some Textron and will run that through. no way the carb -performance should be this bad after only maybe 10 hours of use.

not sure where it is leaking from.

Old 01-06-09, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by cristobawat View Post
prime it 3-4 times. I think it may have been because I had loosened the bottom nut, thinking that would alter the carb/gas flow (like on old carbs).

Just bought some Textron and will run that through. no way the carb -performance should be this bad after only maybe 10 hours of use.

not sure where it is leaking from.
It is not the amount of use, it is the amount of time. You bought this a year ago. If gas has been sitting in the carb since last spring, the gas has formed varnish inside and clogged up the pin holes. Today's gas is good for only 30 days.
In the spring, add gas stabilzer to the gas and run the engine for 5 minutes, then shut off the gas and let it die.

Old 01-06-09, 09:34 AM
Some of these carbs leak after rebuild, I have one at home I have cleaned 3 times and put 2 kits in. I'm at a loss as to why it does it, I have given up.