Snapper RER "Bowing" in Middle

Old 02-11-08, 01:47 PM
Snapper RER "Bowing" in Middle

Wow...I'm hoping this one isn't too weird. I have an older model (circa 1991) Snapper 33" RER with a Kohler 14hp engine. I have worked extensively on this beast after inheriting it from the previous owner of our place. My wife laughs at me everytime I start it up because she knows something will break before the end of the day. I always end up repairing it just to spite her, though. HOWEVER...

As I was happily puttering along the back-40 I noticed that the seat slowly begin "tilting" forward towards the steering wheel. "WTF?" I thought. I stopped the mower and hopped off and noticed that the mower seemed to be "hinging" or "bowed" where the front frame and the main case assemblies meet. I took a closer look at the mower once it was back in the garage and it looks like the only piece that's holding the front and rear together is the main tube and its bushing. The main tube clamp is tight, so I can't figure this one out.

Please tell me that I only need to replace the bushing and everything will be fine.

Arrggh... thanks very much for any direction!!
-Collin (Manor, TX)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-08, 02:46 PM
OK,

You only need to replace the bushing and everything will be fine.

These units are built pretty stout, You should be able to grab the bottom of the seat and raise the center up and down to see exactly what has failed. Could be the bushing or a broken weld but I think you'll find a bad bushing.

Old 02-12-08, 11:27 AM
When I looked at the "problem area" I did notice that the "other half" of the bushing (towards the front frame) looked like it had been squeezed like, I dunno...dried toothpaste through the collar.

My next question is, got any tips on where I can get started replacing the bushing once I get the part? Are there any caveats to repair??

Thanks again!

Old 02-12-08, 04:54 PM
If you look on the front side of the rear frame section under the seat (sitting in the seat left hand side) you should see a model number decal. If you post these numbers I can give more details as to what exactly needs to be removed to install these bushings.

Search this Thread