Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs Fun Power 5hp Help!

NC

02-12-08, 07:08 PM   #1  
Briggs Fun Power 5hp Help!

Hello all, Purchased a go kart for the kids cheap...now I know why, After a bit I finally found that its spraying oil out of the shaft itself, its making a huge mess. I removed motor, took off side shaft cover thinking maybe that black seal around shaft was worn, what I found was the shaft itself has worn down probably due to no suspension and just rubbing itself down from bumps and bangs. Any ideas on fixing this, it looks like the whole shaft itself would need to be replaced, OR would permatex or high temp silicon work if I put it around shaft hole to seal in the oil... I realize it would be spinning, but I am new to go karts and my kids are disappointed today, thanks for any help/replies.

Sponsored Links

MA

02-12-08, 07:27 PM   #2  
Post the model and type numbers of the engine so we can see what we are dealing with. Should be stamped into the shroud near the spark plug or on a tag on the side. Most likely you are looking at replacing crankshaft, and oil seal but possibly if there was that much movement to where the crankshaft wore down the cylinder cover may be shot. It could also have damaged the flywheel side of the block. Permatex etc is not an option. Easiest way is a new shortblock, or possible a good used one.

FL

02-12-08, 07:42 PM   #3  
I agree with s.e.g., You will most likely find more wear in the side cover since the crank is steel and possibly wear on the flywheel side.

In most cases this is caused due to worn chain and sprockets, The person tightens the chain too tight to keep it from jumping off. How ever you repair this engine or decide to replace it check the chain and sprockets as well, Also make sure the rear sprocket and clutch sprocket are aligned so the chain runs straight.

Good Luck

NC

02-12-08, 07:44 PM   #4  
Thanks for your reply, here is the info from the side
Model 136212
Type 1026E1
Code 970618y8

How much do you think to replace motor? Or do I need something else? thanks.

FL

02-12-08, 07:57 PM   #5  
Briggs no longer has a shortblock for this engine, They don't even list a new replacement.

If you put Small Engine Warehouse in your browser you can contact them to see what they may have. They have a Junkcumsea on the front page for $199.00.

NC

02-12-08, 08:13 PM   #6  
Well thanks for the reply, bummer, since I only paid $100 for the kart. Will Any motor with a 3/4 shaft work?

FL

02-13-08, 03:37 PM   #7  
Posted By: ferrara679 Will Any motor with a 3/4 shaft work?
If the shaft is the same length and you can SAFELY hook the throttle cable AND the throttle return spring along with the kill switch to it most will work. If in the same block size most have the same mounting bolt pattern.

Search this Thread