Problem with snowblower impeller

Old 02-13-08, 12:13 PM
Unhappy Problem with snowblower impeller

This morning when i started the snowblower, the impeller was frozen, unbeknown to me. When I started it, there was smoke and smell of rubber burning. I stopped the blower, clean the chute area of ice etc. Started motor OK, but the impeller is not throwing snow. Stopped blower, noticed the impeller can be moved by hand--obiously something has broken. I noticed that the impeller, and the rod to the augers and now the augers will move relatively freely. Is this a belt problem or a gearbox problem. I haven't opened it up yet!!!
It really was not my day!!!! I went to backup blower a 5hp Sears, which had water in the carb and was fixed by the
sears tech in December. It started fine, but once any force was put to it--eg snow it lost power and died. Does the carb need to be redone??? I haven't changed the spark plug since last year--could this be causing the lack of power??? This snowblower worked perfectly last year.
Any and all help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-08, 01:10 PM
First thing i'd check is the belt

Old 02-13-08, 04:00 PM
Problem #1...you burnt the belt.

Problem on blower#2...try a new plug first. if that doesn't fix it, then it sounds like a carb problem.