Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Deere TRS 21 throttle problem

MI

02-16-08, 02:35 PM   #1  
Deere TRS 21 throttle problem

my 2 cycle (deere trs-21 Tecumseh motor)snow thrower was running rough, had to leave choke closed so it would not stall when clearing snow the last use..
took the carb fuel cup off and found a bunch of crud in fuel in cup. cleaned it all out, sprayed some carb clean in all exposed orifices to clean out any bits i may have missed.
re-assembled and it fired right up after priming.
we had about 5 inches of snow so started down driveway from detached garage toward house(maybe 25 feet)
threw snow like a champ and ran very smooth.
then, after it running for like 20 seconds, it just started roaring at full throttle. Not pushing any snow, just sitting there with paddle/auger disengaged.
i turned the key off after like two seconds cause it sounded like no good could come from it, but it just kept running at full throttle for like another 15-20 seconds, then quit. not seized up or anything, but shut off like the key would normally do. I assumed it was burning up some carb clean that may have been pooling, but the fact that the key was off and it still ran for like 20 seconds disturbed me.
let it sit a minute, looked everything over, started it up again and it did the exact same thing.
took it apart and everything was in place in the carb, that was there before.
any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-16-08, 09:27 PM   #2  
Sounds like the throttle is open. See if it opens and closes on the carb by hand. If so, run it and see if it you can control the speed when you turn the throttle shaft by hand. If so, there is a problem with the throttle linkage or governor. If not, then the throttle plate may have come off in the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

02-17-08, 07:49 AM   #3  
i removed the brass looking cover(air inlet/directional control?) from the front of the carb, to allow a visual inspection inside the carb.
i see the butterfly that the choke lever controls, is still attached and functioning properly.
opening the choke butterfly to allow me to peer down into the carb, i see the butterfly that is attached to the throttle lever, and it functions properly, rotating on a spring based mechanism.
it is attached to a steel shaft, that passes up through the carb body, and is linked to a throttle control/stop arm?, that is then in turn attached by a small wire rod, that has a spring around it and linked to the same holes as the wire rod, attached to a stamped metal bracket that is attached firmly to a steel shaft that passes into the housing that encases the auger/paddle.
The other portion of the stamped bracket, is attached by spring to the chassis i believe, to hold the throttle butterfly wide open it appears, until the auger engages and more fuel than air is required? Should the butterfly on the throttle be wide open when the machine is cold or not running?
i pulled the float off, and there seems to be a small amount of fuel inside it, as i can hear it splashing around when shaking.
not an ounce or anything, but more than a single drop.
is this ok? inspecting the float closely after cleaning off, revealed no holes or cracks, and no fuel spilled out as i shook it. i had re-assembled the float on the spring encased rod it rotates on, and re-installed the little four sided, tapered pin into the fuel intake orifice without issue or so i thought, but after reading some posts, am curious if i am missing a rubber plug of some sort.
none was visible when dis-assembling.
is there a part breakdown of the assembly, online that someone can provide me with.
it looks so simple, but it seems to have me licked right now.
i have not run it since it is still dis-assembled, but want to make sure the carb is re-assembled properly first.

OK

02-17-08, 02:24 PM   #4  
It is definitely a bad thing to have gas sloshing around in the float, needs to be replaced.
You didn't state the model number of the engine, but quite possibly the following service manual may cover it.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692508.pdf
2 Cycle Engines
hope this helps,
thanks,

MI

03-05-08, 09:08 AM   #5  
well, that manual has all the info I need. Seems I have the High Tilt Float Style carb.
picking up a rebuild kit for the carb, as the bowl gasket is rather brittle, plus the fuel in the float. Figure it's only like $11, so may as well do it while I have it apart.
Looking up inside the main jet area, I noticed a bit of debris in there that looked like a portion of seal that the bowl nut would seat against. Cleaned it out and it does look like a small chunk of seal seperated.
Hope that is included in the kit.
A question I still have is, should the throttle still be fully open when cold, or closed until warmed up and under load?

I did write down the numbers off the motor, but have left them in the garage

OK

03-05-08, 10:26 AM   #6  
If you give us the model and spec no. of engine, we can provide the carb breakdown.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-06-08, 12:05 AM   #7  
Yes, the throttle butterfly should be wide open when the engine is off. As soon as it starts up, the governor takes control and adjusts it according to rpm and the throttle setting.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread