Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

*NEW* honda gx160 seizure

MN

02-17-08, 07:03 AM   #1  
*NEW* honda gx160 seizure

Honda GX160 5.h5hp engine (Brand new out of the box) is on a walk-behind blower. (used in commercial roofing). The first time they used this engine it came back to the shop siezed. We loosened the engine up by hand and it ran fine again. This engine went out on a job again and ran most of the day and it came back seized. Again, we loosened up this engine. I figured the low-oil shutdown would have caught a low-oil condition but I'm thinking its a factory defect. Oil shut-down system was checked and found to be working. (when oil capacity was just below the bottom of the dipstick it would kill the spark.) I advised to take engine in for warranty work but this engine was purchased 2 years ago and stuck in the corner when it locked up for the first time. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

Non-US

02-17-08, 07:13 AM   #2  
You say this is a walk behind snowblower that belongs to a commercial roofing co?? Are they using it to blow snow from the roofs & the pitch is too much for proper oiling??? Roger

MN

02-17-08, 07:09 PM   #3  
I left out a small detail - its a Air blower. the crankshaft runs a huge fan (inside a housing) and the air comes out in a stream close to the roof surface.

Non-US

02-18-08, 06:58 PM   #4  
Sorry,, I've worked on so many snowblowers the last few days that's all I think about. A honda to sieze is rare. I trust you checked air filter sealing, as you know you're stuff. Try to find out the exact conditions it's used in. Maybe a defect, but try to find if they are using it @ angles they should'nt, or in places it could overheat. Check it out & let us know, Roger

FL

02-18-08, 07:12 PM   #5  
Legal,

I believe you need to perform a tear-down inspection, Once you find the reason for it locking down it will be easier to determine what caused it to do this.

We have a fleet of these engines on our rental equipment and I've only been inside one for replacement of the oil alert, They are well built engines.

Keep us posted on what you find....

Cya

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-18-08, 07:13 PM   #6  
I agree, the GX engines are some of the toughest little workhorses ever made. I would think there's a temperature condition or improper oiling. Was it ever given a proper break-in procedure? With regular oil?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MN

02-19-08, 05:37 AM   #7  
I am unsure of how it was broke in. I do know that it has only been used 3 times since brand new. It was used the first time and came back siezed. I don't have the engine in my possession yet but when I do get it I will tear it down. The engine looks as it should - brand new. not a speck of dirt on any cooling fins, and flywheel fins look fine. Its a BRAND NEW engine.. I'll try to find out when I'm going to get a hold of it. Oh, and its used on Flat roofs. no angles or yards, and no smoke.

Search this Thread