Lawnboy mower part

Old 02-20-08, 08:07 AM
Lawnboy mower part

I am looking for the transmission for this Lawnboy mower. Anyone any idea where I can find a used or rebuilt one? If not, how about a new one?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-08, 08:17 AM
92-7869 is the replacement part number, I don't know where you might find a used one, but a new one runs around $255.00

These transmissions can be rebuilt, so you may want to check out yours and find out whats wrong with it. It may be considerably less expensive to repair it then to replace the complete assembly.

You can look up parts at the Toro parts lookup site.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Old 02-20-08, 08:37 AM
Wow, no kidding. Ill definitely attempt that. Is the problem typically easy to diagnose once it is opened up? I was given this mower and just told that the transmission needed replaced. ..that was it.

Old 02-20-08, 05:37 PM
It all depends on the actual problem, it may be readily apparent if something is broken. It may not jump out at you either.

The best approach would be to check some things first.
1.) check the drive belt, make sure it's on the drive pulley(engine) and driven pulley(transmission).

2.) check the traction control and cable, to make sure it's engaging the transmission when activated.

3.) check the shift cable to see if it is operating all the speeds and the shift is simply not stuck in neutral.

4.) Operate the unit and try the self propel, see if you can tell if the axle is rotating when the transmission is engaged. If it is and the wheels don't pull, then the problem may be in the wheel drive mechanism and not in the transmission.

Post back with what you find.

Old 02-20-08, 07:28 PM
I hand turned the pulley on the transmission and it seemed like it wanted to turn the axles but then slipped. You could feel the gears grind a bit. Im thinking maybe something is stripped inside??

Old 02-21-08, 07:05 AM
May just be the shift keys or a roll pin maybe.

Old 02-21-08, 07:27 AM
Here's a breakdown on your model transmission:
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/sit...m?xcaller=Toro
Looks like a 1998 model mower and transmission looks like a mini version of a rider transaxle, i.e., with shift keys, 3 speed??
Might be the input shaft pinion gear or the bevel gear it drives could be a problem. (ref 23 and 7)
hope this helps,
thanks,

Old 02-22-08, 05:34 AM
THanks everyone for the help. Maybe Ill put it apart this weekend and post back what I find.

Thanks again!

Old 02-23-08, 08:26 AM
I just pulled the transmission out and opened it up. Everything appeared to be in good working order. No stripped gears or anything of the sort. My thought is maybe the shift keys. The key looks to be slightly worn.

When I put it back together and hand turned the pulley, the axles turned well. However, when I applied a good amount of pressure to the axle, it eventually gave and it seemed to be slipping.

Old 02-23-08, 08:52 AM
Could be, the end of the shift key that fits under the shift collar is flat, the end with the tip on it that slides under the gear selected has an upward tilt, sometimes they lose that upward tilt and the tip wears down.
Shift keys don't cost much, if you decide to repair it by installing new shift keys, first inspect the cut on the inside of the shift gears to make sure they're not worn.
good luck,

Old 02-23-08, 01:11 PM
You might want to check the roll pin that anchors the gear sleeve to the axle, it could be sheared, if it is then it will not drive the axle.

Old 02-23-08, 03:54 PM
The axle did turn for a little while until I applied preasure. WOuld it turn the axle at all if the pin were broken?

Old 02-23-08, 05:33 PM
It could as part of the pin may be rubbing against the gear sleeve enough to turn the axle and then slip when a load is applied. I have seen this many times, but it's entirely possible that the keys are causing the slipping. The only way to tell for sure is to disassemble the transmission and check the gear sleeve, it should not spin on the axle at all.

Old 04-14-08, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know where I can purchase a shift key for this mower? The part number is 76-0760. I ordered it one place and waited forever for it to come in, only to be sent the sleeve and not the keys. Id like to find it online if possible.

Old 04-14-08, 09:23 AM
Lawnboy/Toro say they have it. Have a good one. Geo
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...-0760&go=GO%21

Old 04-21-08, 08:00 AM
A couple of questions. I removed the transmission, replaced the keys and reassembled the mower. When I started it up, I get a fast clicking noise when I engage the self propulsion. I did not see any damage to the gears and everything seems in tact. The roll pin appeared ok, but I was not able to replace it because I couldnt get it out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it? Also, if it were sheared, would there be any visual evidence? I am able to hand crank everything and that works well. It just seems that when the torque is a applied, thats when there is a problem.