Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generators-12Kw: Tri-fuel or straight LP?

IL

02-23-08, 12:59 PM   #1  
Generators-12Kw: Tri-fuel or straight LP?

I'm trying to outfit our family's farmhouse (NW Illinois) where I've moved to take care of my 99 yr old grandmother. After this winter's ice storms, back-up power is a necessity...about 12 Kw or so.

I like the idea of a portable tri-fuel model such as the WINCO-HPS12000HE w/ 20-HP Honda motor ....But since it'll run primarily on LP, I was wondering if I'd have less problems with a "hard wired" LP standby model such as WINCO's PSS12H4W.

Efficiency: It's automatic switch would be convenient but I see it using more fuel than needed, as it tests itself every week for 15 minutes.

Does a tri-fuel system invite more problems with its' unique carburetor and gas regulator?

My main goal is to find a reliable and fuel efficient model that can run on LP. I can't find any consumer reviews on these models, and am open to other brands. I'd appreciate any ideas you may have. ~Tim

Sponsored Links

Non-US

02-23-08, 05:02 PM   #2  
I think I would go with the dedicated unit, as the entire fuel, ignition system will be designed for the propane you plan to use. You need not concern yourself about fuel costs as the unit self tests @ idle speed. The cost is minimal & warrants an operating machine when you need it. A system that sits for several months without use cannot reliably be asked to perform 100% without running up & servicing @ times. The small amount of fuel it would use during a self test is cheap insurance if you have a blackout & need it to look after people.

IL

02-23-08, 06:18 PM   #3  
which 12Kw LP standby generators are best?

Thanks for the advice - I was thinking along those lines but you were the first voice outside my head to weigh in. Considering i go with a dedicated LP standby unit, are there any suggestions out there as to the best units. I've heard Generac has a nonexistant service center and that some Briggs are so-so (although Vanguards seem good) and Kohlers even have big issues. Havn't heard any negatives about Winco's PSS12H4W unit except it being pricier. I'm all ears....

Non-US

02-24-08, 07:59 PM   #4  
I'm thinking the Electrician that installs any unit should be able to answer any questions about warranty & service. Be sure to ask about it before buying the generator, a lot of them have a service plan.. Good Luck, Roger

Search this Thread