snow blower only runs choked

Old 02-23-08, 02:33 PM
snow blower only runs choked

sorry i left out engine manufacture in previous posting... it is a Tecumseh engine

i have an MTD 5hp 2 stage snow blower hssk50 67365M (h)
DOM 523513 ...

i was having problems blower only would run with choke on after setting 2 seasons, finally got it started and will only run on choke with throttle on high, so i rebuilt carburator, now will only run on low throttle (seems like high though) and only with the choke on.. i have tried to adjusting the bowl valve, but no good, everytime i open the throttle and choke it dies.

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-08, 03:32 PM
I don't like to spend your money but, I think a new carb will fix your problem.

Old 02-23-08, 05:44 PM
You said you cleaned the carb with a good spray cleaner, did you notice the small hole in the brass bowl nut in the ridge or gap in the threaded area? After you put a small wire through the hole to see it is clean, set the screw two turns out for starters. This should be a starting point to start the engine and run on fast throttle. The engine should run rough on the first choke notch and smooth up when you go to no choke. At low rpm's the screw on the side of the carb should be about a turn and 1/4 out. A snow blower you want to run towards the rich side for cold weather.

Old 02-23-08, 06:54 PM
re: snowblower only runs on choke

yes, i cleaned the hole and used a small wire to make sure was open. if i take the seat for the needle vavle out it will run, but with seat bushing in it wont. needle valve is new have tried everything with high adjustment screw when i start it, it runs high rpm on low setting. if i move off low setting or try to open throttle it shuts down...

Old 02-23-08, 07:36 PM
If any fuel is left in carb & it sits for 2 seasons, it is almost impossible to rebuild carb...................

Old 02-24-08, 10:40 AM
re:snow blower only runs choked

machine sat for 2 seasons but carb and tank had been drained of fuel before it had been stored..

Old 02-24-08, 12:01 PM
Which seat are you refering to? Look under the float valve to see if you have not removed the orginal seat if not the new seat will make the float sit higher and not allow enough fuel into the float bowl so you will not run on high throttle.