Kohler genius needed

Old 03-01-08, 05:57 PM
Kohler genius needed

Hi all,I have a Kohler 8hp spec#30108A and serial# 796926 K181S. I tore this apart and rebuilt it(I don't know how or if it ran prior to my owning).I had it all back together and all it would do was fart out the carb once in awhile.Has spark,getting gas.Pulled it out,tore it down again to check timing marks,appear good to me.No balance gears.Has starter/generator(rebuilt also).In the book it says points should open when the "s" centers up in the inspection hole,it does not do this(static timing).Points begin to open at tdc.Any help would be greatly appreciated.I am guessing this is from the late 50's or early 60's.Thanks for taking the time to read this,Poppa...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-08, 06:17 PM
It's been a few years since I worked on a Ole K series. But, All I ever done is rotate the engine until the points plunger rod was at the furthest point out then gap the points at 0.20". They always fired right off and ran just fine.

Old 03-01-08, 06:29 PM
If you are sure the timing marks are aligned on the camshaft, then the things I would check are the flywheel key make sure it's not sheared (this is a posibility since the timing marks won't align).
Check and verify point gap and operation.
The next thing I would check is the valve lash to make sure you have sufficient clearance on the valves.

Old 09-24-08, 09:58 PM
I have the same motor k181s ser num 746913.spec num 30531d on a gravely 408 tractor.I have just rebuilt the engine.Since i did up the motor,it has been sqerting oil along the pin and on the points.does anyone out there know if i can put eletronic igintion on it.It does have eleletric start.

Old 09-25-08, 09:14 AM
As far as I know there is no electronic conversion for this engine. You might want to check the crankcase breather, you should not have pressure in the crankcase when the engine is running, this may be causing oil to squirt out onto your points.