Craftsman Lawn Tractor with B&S Engine

Old 03-02-08, 02:40 PM
Unhappy Craftsman Lawn Tractor with B&S Engine

Hi there,

I have a Craftsman LT1000 Tractor (2004 model #27337) with B&S 17.5 HP engine (Model# 31C707, Type 0230-E1). While I was using it last November. It gave out huge white smoke (Like a cloud) all of a sudden. I stopped using it since then. Now, if I start up, it runs rough (like chocking) and huge white smoke come out once a while. Oil spilled out of the muffler. Spark plug oiled up and the engine oil smells of gasolin. Is this means the engine is completely gone or just the head gasket blown? I am weighing how to proceed: Get a new engine or do some repair work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Min

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-08, 02:49 PM
Sounds like you need to take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports/ passages and jets and replace the float needle valve then re-assemble. Make sure the fuel tank is clean and replace the fuel filter and change the oil.

Old 03-02-08, 02:59 PM
So you think the engine is not gone yet?

I went to the repair department of a Lawn Mower compnay and described the problem as I just stated. They say: "Engine is gone. Need $700 for replacement. Not worth it!"
That's why I came here for advice.

Min

Originally Posted by 31YTech View Post
Sounds like you need to take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports/ passages and jets and replace the float needle valve then re-assemble. Make sure the fuel tank is clean and replace the fuel filter and change the oil.

Old 03-02-08, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by MinMet View Post
So you think the engine is not gone yet?
Well, From what you described I don't think so. For less than $20 you can do the carb as suggested and find out. Could save the cost of a new engine or mower.

Old 03-02-08, 03:14 PM
That's great news to me. I will try that once it gets wormer (I am in Northeast, freezing now as my tractor is in the backyard barn). One thing, is it possible that the cylinder gasket was blown?

Min

Well, From what you described I don't think so. For less than $20 you can do the carb as suggested and find out. Could save the cost of a new engine or mower.

Old 03-02-08, 03:23 PM
Anything is possible. But, I have never had to replace a blown head gasket on this series engine.....

Old 03-02-08, 03:37 PM
Thank you so much for the advice, 31YTech! That's some comfort for me as I had the tractor for only three years.

Min

Anything is possible. But, I have never had to replace a blown head gasket on this series engine.....

Old 03-02-08, 04:37 PM

Old 03-04-08, 12:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
31Ytech has you on the right track. The engine should be fine. The carb inlet needle isn't seating, and allowed gas to flow into the cylinder and seep past the rings into the crankcase, diluting the oil, while the mower was sitting unused. This is why the oil blew out, and the white smoke, fouled plug, etc...

Clean the carb, replace the inlet needle, verify that it isn't leaking and then drain the oil/gas out of the crankcase and refill with SAE30, and you'll be set.

Old 03-08-08, 09:44 AM
Thank you so much, cheese! I will get on that once it's warm up a bit (I am in Northeastern, still prety cold in my back yard). I will report back after do some work on it (may be in early April). Thanks again!

Min

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
31Ytech has you on the right track. The engine should be fine. The carb inlet needle isn't seating, and allowed gas to flow into the cylinder and seep past the rings into the crankcase, diluting the oil, while the mower was sitting unused. This is why the oil blew out, and the white smoke, fouled plug, etc...

Clean the carb, replace the inlet needle, verify that it isn't leaking and then drain the oil/gas out of the crankcase and refill with SAE30, and you'll be set.

Old 03-22-08, 06:10 PM
Smile

31YTech and cheese,

Just to let you know that I fixed my B&S engine problem.
I worked on it today. First, I adjusted the valve clearance and fixed hard start probelm I had last season. Apparently it's not the problem of the compression release mechanism on cam gear (although I bought a new cam gear. I will hold down to it in case I need it later). Then I took apart the carburetor and gave it a good bath with carb cleaner. The deedle looks fine (looks same as the new one I just bought) so I re-used it. Of course I changed oil and filled with fresh fuel.
Once I put everything back, the engine started up right away. After couple minutes running with light blueish smoke (probably from the old residure oil-fuel mixture in crankcase), it went back to normal condition.

Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate it!

Min

Old 03-22-08, 06:55 PM
Glad to hear you got it up and running, Happy mowing.....