Toro 421 runs but will not stay running

Old 03-05-08, 05:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro 421 runs but will not stay running

I have a 421 Toro snow blower, it was not running at all, I rebuilt the carburetor and now it runs great, the only problem is that it only runs great for 15-20 seconds then it dies. It will start right back up (with full choke) then dies again. I have tried adjusting the carburetor with no luck, I have checked the fuel line running to carburetor. I have even tried running the engine with the fuel cap off, to ensure venting. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-05-08, 06:25 PM
J
Look up model # 38010 on Toro website--I don't know if a manual will help but it will give you something to read.

Old 03-05-08, 11:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Did you soak the carb in a quality bath type cleaner? When it runs, does it require the choke to run, or just to start it? Can you keep it running a bit longer by applying the choke?

Old 03-06-08, 08:02 AM
S
it requires the choke just to start. I have tried playing with the choke, it will choke itself out if left fully choked (as it should) It will run fine with the choke off and/or with half choke, and I can not recover it with the choke when it starts to die. appreciate the help

Old 03-07-08, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Try removing the bowl from the carb, with a container under it to catch the gas. Watch the gas flow from the carb into the container. See if it runs at a good steady rate, or if it slows and begins to trickle.

Old 05-08-08, 06:07 PM
F
Toro 421 Will Not Stay Running

There are TWO not one, small holes in the main needle valve (jet) at bottom of bowl. Be sure to count the turns inward on the screw before it bottoms out, don't go tight just seat it. Record the turns then remove the screw. On the hex head brass piece are the two holes, one is almost invisible, should be in the area between the two sets of threads. Take the smallest pin or needle you can find and slowly turn it back and forth in the hole. You may have to use penetrating oil while you do this. Clear BOTH holes and it should run ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: