Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snapper Snow Blower 3201

MI

03-07-08, 10:21 AM   #1  
Snapper Snow Blower 3201

Hey gang, I too have a snapper that won't start,But it's mechanical rather than a carb or electrical.Here's what happened....just got done putting on a drive belt,put everything back together...then pulled sharply on the starter cord acouple of times and the engine was about to catch and start..BUT it needed one good pull yet ( the engine had been on its "side' for about 15 minutes in order to get the drive belt on easier)...so on the last pull i pulled sharply(quickly) and the pullcord flew out of my grasp and snapped back into the recoil housing.

Now the cord will not pull out all the way.
I can only pull the cord about a 1/3 of the way and the cord lock in place at that point...it won't pull out any futher...almost like the engine is locked up or seized...BUT IT'S Not!

Tried rotating the flywheel/pully with a screwdriver to free the lock up...and it moves somewhat but never past the point where everything is locked up at ( pull cord recoils back into housing smoothly ..1/3 backwards)...Any Ideas on what to do to free up a "locked up"
starter cord???Thanks for any help..Kelly.

Sponsored Links

MA

03-07-08, 11:21 AM   #2  
I'f i recall,it sounds like something call hydro lock,or something similar. caused by turning machine on its side in your case. I would suggest you remove the plug and pull on starter rope about 15 times to clear the engine.
I'm sure some experts here will chime in shortly.

MN

03-08-08, 05:45 AM   #3  
IF the engine was actually on its side completely, Then the cylinder got some oil in it. It may not be much, but enough to hydrolock the engine. You need to do what Daswede said and remove the spark plug (putting a rag over the hole) and pulling the rope many times to clear the oil out of the cylinder. After about 10-15 pulls you should be okay to put the plug back in (make sure its not covered in oil) and try to start the engine. Once the engine starts it will smoke a LOT at first.. let it run and warm up and this will go away. In the future if you put it on its side I'd recommend draining the oil first.

Search this Thread