Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda HT4213

03-09-08, 08:08 PM   #1  
Honda HT4213

I have an older HT4213 Tractor. It is a horizontal engine with a shaft drive. Last season the transmission siezed, and I haven't had a chance to pull it out yet. Has anyone ever tried to take the transaxle apart? It looks like it may be possible to split it, but I'm curious to hear if there are any serviceable parts in there, or if it takes a pile of special tools.

Sponsored Links

FL

03-10-08, 04:41 PM   #2  
Well Jared,

I have been inside of a few of the HT3009 rear engine rider transaxles which is a smaller unit and it was fun even with my experience.

I wouldn't suggest a novice to go into one of these without a service manual handy.

http://web.ebscohost.com.oh0105.opli...0sessionmgr109

If the above link doesn't work just shout, I would suggest checking the brake shoe lining first. I have seen them get worn thin to the point of popping off the shoe and locking everything down.

Good Luck

03-11-08, 06:39 PM   #3  
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely check the brake first, since it could be a likely suspect considering the age. I would love for it to be that, but as it is right now I can push the mower around in neuteral and the rear wheels spin like usual. When I try to apply power to the drive shaft side of the transaxle it doesn't budge. I also tried lifting the rear wheels and turning from the drive side with no success.

I was mowing with it last season and the engine sort of bogged down (like it does when you overload the mowing deck) and then as the tractor coasted to a stop, the drive clutch started smoking. I assumed that this was because of some sort of internal failure in the tx. The engine was still turning away, and there was no other place for the engine output to go, so the clutch started slipping. The good news was that I was able to shut it down before it did too much damage to the clutch plates.

I do have some experience rebuilding 1970s motorcycle engines, which have transmissions included, but even with them parts are difficult but possible to find. I haven't been able to find any good suppliers for parts for the mower, leading me to wonder that if I do get it apart, whether I'll be able to do anything about what I can find.

I do have the honda service manual on the way, though last time I thumbed through one it was still a fairly vague reference. The brake idea has me intrigued enough to do some more investigating.

I've been watching ebay for parts, and a guy has listed two complete transaxles for sale, ending in around 25 days or so. I guess I've got until then to figure something out, though at the $240 total price, they aren't exactly within reach. Considering the overal condition, age, and value of the mower, it is a tough decision.

FL

03-11-08, 07:25 PM   #4  
If you haven't ran across this place yet; http://www.planopower.com/store/hond...x_riders.shtml you may give them a call to check parts availability.

If it was a slow bog when it stopped it could be the brake lining, If it was a gear problem it seems it would have locked up suddenly sliding to a stop throwing you over the steering wheel. lol

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-12-08, 12:03 AM   #5  
$240, awwww man...I just junked 2 of those mowers...they went to the recycling place. I kept the engines but not the trannies (both trannies worked fine).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-12-08, 07:52 PM   #6  
That's great news. I'll take a look tomorrow and get back with you for curiosity sake.

03-13-08, 03:19 PM   #7  
Well, the good news is that the service manual arrived today and I was able to remove the brake drum. The bad news is that the shoes both look fine. They are a little bit worn, but both in tact. I've got everything situated to pull the unit out, and hopefully I'll be able to at least narrow down where the problem is.

03-14-08, 08:04 AM   #8  
I'm glad I didn't buy the transaxle! I was in the process of taking it out, and realized that I couldn't get it off without removing the clutch. I took the clutch off and immediately found the problem. The rear bearing was scrapped, and that is why it wouldn't allow the drive shaft to turn the transaxle. It looks like now I just have to find or make the tool to get the clutch apart!

FL

03-14-08, 06:45 PM   #9  
Good to hear you found the problem....

I'll bet your glad you don't have to go inside that transaxle huh ?

Good luck with the repair !

Search this Thread