Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower Starter Problems

NY

03-10-08, 03:35 PM   #1  
Snowblower Starter Problems

I have a 30-ish year old Ariens snowblower Model Number 924040. It is powered by a 8hp Tecumseh HM80 engine.

The rewind/starter does not seem to be engaging - there is no resistance when I pull the cord. It does, however, rewind albeit slowly. When I try to start using the electric starter, it does not appear to engage either. There is a whirring sound, but the engine does not appear to turn over.

Thoughts anyone? We're in for another big 12" dump of snow this week.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

MI

03-10-08, 04:46 PM   #2  
for me too look up the engine i need the FULL model number theres why too many choices. i need the full model and serial number off the engine. in the mean time remove the rope starter and see if when you pull it if 2 little dogs come out from the side. has for the electric starter. remove it and oil it the little cog gear may be stuck.

MA

03-10-08, 05:06 PM   #3  
If the problem was with your recoil (pull) starter the electric start would still start the engine. The fact that neither does leads to other issues. I would suggest pulling spark plug and angling a flash light into the hole so you can see the piston and pull the recoil rope and see if the piston is moving up and down. If not you have a broken connecting rod, if yes and there still seems to be no engagement, look carefully through the spark plug hole and look to see if each valve is rising and closing. One of the valves could be stuck. If you cannot see the valves you need to remove the head and visually watch valves.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-10-08, 11:41 PM   #4  
I'm thinking along the smae lines as smallengineguy...sounds like it has a broken connecting rod. Give it a check and report back with the results.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

03-11-08, 04:31 AM   #5  
Not a connecting rod/valve

Guys,

Thanks for the inputs. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not with the workings of the engine itself. I had this same problem a couple of weeks ago, and after selective use of my fix-all tool (a hammer) the starter engaged just fine and the blower worked like a charm. This time, the hammer didn't work.

There isn't a model label on the engine, but I found the owners maual from the original owner - there's a hand-written notation that states "4 M80-155 Engine"

I'll try pulling the recoil off when I get home fdrom work tonight.

Thanks

MA

03-11-08, 05:02 AM   #6  
I have had a couple of HM80's that the ears on the recoil will freeze and as you said after tapping with hammer or sitting in sun will work. It will take 2 minutes to pull spark plug and see if piston is moving. You can also pull off recoil starter, only 4 bolts. Once removed pull rope rapidly and see if the 2 ears that grab starter cup are popping out. A couple drops of WD-40 may help if they are only binding a bit. These older recoils are a bit tricky so I would not recommend taking it apart other than removing from engine.

As I stated this would not effect electric starter operation unless that is not operating either.

NY

03-11-08, 03:43 PM   #7  
Success - thanks

I removed the recoil and checked the cogs. They were gummed up and had a bit of ice on them.

I thawed the unit and then cleaned and lubricated the cog mechanism. Replaced the unit and voila, it starts!

The electric start still won't engage. It may be gummed or iced up as well, but that will be a summer project. The armstrong method will get me through the rest of the winter.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-12-08, 12:06 AM   #8  
Glad you got it. Odd that the electric starter and the recoil would fail to engage the engine at the same time.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread