Engine not running correctly!

Old 03-13-08, 03:21 PM
Question Engine not running correctly!

Here's the story. End of last season I was mowing the yard when the engine started to quit under a load. It is a Briggs & Stratton. The Model is 98982. The Type is 0149 and the Code is 97032054. Upon removing the air cleaner, it was evident that a spring had broken and this would be the source of my problem. I have ordered the governor spring (691297) mistakenly and also the governed idle spring (691859). The governed idle spring is the one that had broken. I have installed the idle spring but the engine still does not run correctly. Anyone have any ideas? It was running fine until I found the broken spring. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-08, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What symptoms does the engine have? Just not running fast enough? If so, you might need to bend the tab that the spring is attatched to a little bit back to increase spring tension. It could have gotten bent while mowing under bushes, etc...

Old 03-14-08, 04:05 PM
Halsey

I'm having the same problem, and tried bending the spring support. It'll run great at full throttle, but hunts badly mid range, and can't seem to find anywhere in between.
It's small Briggs & Stratton with a plastic card and no adjustments anywhere for fuel etc.

Old 03-14-08, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by halsey View Post
I'm having the same problem, and tried bending the spring support. It'll run great at full throttle, but hunts badly mid range, and can't seem to find anywhere in between.
It's small Briggs & Stratton with a plastic card and no adjustments anywhere for fuel etc.

Sounds like you need to remove the carb from the tank then clean the fuel pick-up screen and main jet (with carb & choke spray cleaner) and install a new diaphragm. Also make sure there is no trash/water in the small cup in the top of the tank or down inside the tank.

Old 03-19-08, 04:18 PM
Glad to see someone else is having the same problem. Well not really. By not running correctly I mean that it starts OK and will run buy poorly. At full throttle it feels like it wants to stall but then comes back (surging?). Forgive me I don't know the proper terms for the symptoms ie. hunts etc. I tried a new plug but I get the same results. Not sure were to go from here. You mentioned removing the card from the tank, cleaning and installing a new diaphram. Is that a tough job for an amatuer? What parts would be needed from Briggs to perform this?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-08, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by stealth729 View Post
What parts would be needed from Briggs to perform this?

A new diaphragm and a can of cleaner, Just for the info a new complete carb with a diaphragm only cost $23.15.....

There are two screws and one linkage holding the tank/carb assembly on the engine and a few screws holding the carb to the tank.

Old 03-20-08, 04:36 PM
Talking

Thanks to you 31YTech. Bought PN/495770 (Diaphragm - Carburetor) and installed after cleaning the carb of course. Whole job took about 45 minutes from start to finish. It started on the first pull and ran nice and strong after that. Hard to believe that such a small part can cause such a huge headache. Hopefully halsey has the same luck I did. It will be ready for another season.

Old 03-20-08, 05:47 PM
Good Deal.....