riding mower won't stop

Old 03-14-08, 01:50 PM
riding mower won't stop

I have a Murray riding model 405000x8c and starting about half way thru the season last year it would not stop when i pushed the pedal and I couldn't change gears. I thought it might have a brake pad that is worn out but i can't find it on the parts list from the Murray pf does any one know if it has a brake pad if so where is it and better how can i find it with out the part number.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-08, 02:59 PM
http--www.murray.com-documents-OwnersManuals-F040735L.pdf
You need to adj. brake & clutch--If that does not work--you got a problem

If link wont open--type Murray riding mower w/ your model #

Last edited by j HOWARD; 03-14-08 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 06:38 PM
bd,

That is a Dana/Foote transaxle in that unit, If you look on the case you should find either a white or silver model number sticker.

Get the number and go here for parts look-up;

http://www.m-and-d.com/dana_foote_pa...ml?id=pwYIVggt

There should be a adjustment nut in the center of the arm the brake rod connects to, Turn it in a half turn at a time and see if that helps. If not new pads are required.

Good Luck

Old 03-14-08, 07:04 PM
He also said it would not shift gears--the clutch rod is attached to brake lever--maybe something broke or came off
?

Old 03-14-08, 07:59 PM
Well jH, I guess I over looked the shift problem....

The brake is operated by a long spring not a rod so the spring should stretch rather that cause a shift problem.

There are a few things that could cause a no shift/hard shift problem.

Would need a little more info to decide which may be a probable cause.

Does the shifter move at all ?

Does it move with the engine running/without running ?

Is the transaxle stuck in one gear and the shifter moves easily ?

Does the clutch pedal go all the way down and if so does the drive belt completely stop moving ?

Old 03-15-08, 01:17 AM
With the mower off I can move thru all gears with no problem.
If the mower is running and I push the brake/clutch pedal the mower doesn't respond at all but I can still change gears if I get to the rpm high enough
When I start the mower with it in neutral all is well but I have to hold on when I put it into gear because there are no brakes so as soon as I move the gear shifter into 1st the mower take off.
If it were a car I would think the clutch went out.

Old 03-15-08, 04:46 AM
Look at brake actuating arm (on the right side of transaxle) while someone operates the brake/clutch pedal (on the left side) to see if it responds. If the arm is not moving, it may need to be blown clean with compressed air. If it does move, but not enuf to compress brake pad, tighten nut holding actuating arm in 1/4 turn increments until it does. In any event, make sure brake assy is clean.
While you're at it, have someone sit on seat and start engine. Look underneath to see if belt is not turning transaxle drive pulley when brake pedal fully depressed.

Old 03-15-08, 06:56 AM
I don't feel your problem is with the brakes, Sounds like the clutch rod may have fallen off, Improper belt installed (too short) or the engine pulley belt guides are bent out of shape.

Repair the clutch problem and the brakes may work just fine.

Old 04-05-08, 03:21 PM
ok , so I finely got the time to take the mower apart and here are the pictures of the part that I think has gone bad but i can't seem to find it anywhere. I maybe calling it the wrong thing it looks like a brake pad either way it is not engaging

here is a link to the pickture of the part you may need to copy and paste this link into a window

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Old 04-05-08, 03:49 PM
Did you get the model number off the transaxle per my post #3 ?

You won't find these brake pads on Murray's parts look-up.

From my dealer's site;

Transaxle, DANA ** Note** For information on Replacement Parts for this transaxle contact the manufacturer.

Old 04-08-08, 04:34 AM
the model is 4360-152ch, but i can't get your website to load up

Old 04-08-08, 12:23 PM
Ok got the page to load and was able to look up the part numbers. I will get the parts and let you know how it work out in the end.

Thanks again

Old 04-08-08, 05:44 PM
Good....

Just remember, The nut holding the lever on this brake assembly is for adjusting the brake. With new pads you will need to back the nut off before installing the assembly on the trans.

Once installed tighten the nut just enough to have the brake start applying when the clutch pedal is 1" or so of being all the way down.

Old 04-25-08, 11:23 AM
So as I was installing the brake parts a friend that I lent the mower to came over to help. And he says man your mower must me getting up there in age, while I had it I had to replace the drive belt. So I asked him which one and he pointed to the one that goes from the engine to the Transmission. So I check it is always tight he said he got the 37/87 belt. He did say it was very hard to get over the pulleys. Is there a way to verify the size with out a measuring tool, and is it possible that he just installed the belt wrong.

Old 04-25-08, 04:56 PM
There is nearly no way to install this belt wrong, You only have the engine/trans and clutch idler pulleys.

The 37x87 belt is 1/2" wide and 97" long, In other words it would be a 4L-970.

Take that belt to a mower shop or auto parts store (NAPA) and they should have the tool to measure it or pull from stock the size above and hold it up to yours.

Search this Thread