Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Eager1 push mower

FL

03-18-08, 05:50 PM   #1  
Craftsman Eager1 push mower

Hi--

I tried to mow my front yard yesterday, but the mower kept cutting off after a couple of minutes each time. I finally gave up and put in a new filter and spark plug and changed the oil (it was pretty dirty). I tried again today, but now it will only turn over if I give an extra squirt of the primer button, and will not stay running. This is about the extent of my lawn mower expertise.

I have checked old posts, but have not seen this exact problem.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links

MO

03-18-08, 07:28 PM   #2  
Please post the engine MFG, type, codes, etc.

I will guess this is a Tecumseh engine and you have spark so here we go;
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

AL

03-18-08, 07:38 PM   #3  
The problem that you drscribe is real common with Tecumseh eagar 1's. Your carburetor has gotton glogged up,you might get by with just cleaning the bowl nut really good, It has itsy bitsy holes between the threads that are bad to get clogged.Clean these holes out by running a wire through them,also the hole at the end of this nut leading to these holes.and inspecting the fuel line.It also wouldn't hurt to ether replace the fuel or strain it to get the dirt and debres out.If not this problem will keep coming back.

FL

03-20-08, 10:01 AM   #4  
All the info I could find is as follows:
Eng. Mod.: 143.004502
Eng. Family: YTPXS.1631BA

I'm pretty clueless about engines. Is the carburetor where the fuel line goes in and where the primer button is located? Also, I've tried to find an online manual since I can't locate my original one; but I've had no luck.

Thanks for your help.

OK

03-20-08, 11:41 AM   #5  
Here's the service manual covering your engine.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
3 to 11 HP 4 cycle L Head
(right click, save target as, etc.)

Search this Thread