Briggs Classic Mower

Old 03-19-08, 11:27 AM
Red face Briggs Classic Mower

Customer brought me this mower ,it would not start.It has the Pulsa prime carb.I took it off removed the primer bulb and the primer seat check ball and small spring.Sprayed all the holes and used compressed air to blow all the holes out.I replaced the diaphragm in order which they were removed replaced the pump spring and the screen on the main jet.Put it back on the gas tank,still cannot get it to prime.Model#9D902 Type 2005B2 Code 00042552.Also replaced the primer bulb with a new one.

Thanks
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-08, 12:17 PM
Jerry, Sounds like you've got all the bases covered,but let me ask you something.Are you sure that the primmer bulb got clicked in and is tight?

It has also been my experince that (and this will drive you crazy) sometimes I get in too big a hurry and the diaphram gets folded and/or misses a carb. screw.If this be the case the engine will not start for love nor money.

And also I have found that it is best to strach the diaphragm spring by maybe 1/2 to 1 coil.

Old 03-19-08, 02:49 PM
repair guy I thought of that I took the primer back out and push it in till the tabs click,also took the carb back off and used a different carb on the same tank and used the same diaphram and spring and primer and that carb work,put the other back on and it did not work.

Thanks
Jerry

Old 03-19-08, 03:19 PM
Did you check for spark and put a little gas in the sparkplug hole, maybe it's not totaly a carb related problem. Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-19-08, 03:59 PM
Jerry,

Look at the primer ball/spring seat and make sure you re-installed it with the ring out to the primer bulb, The non ring side is tapered so the ball will seat properly.

I no longer go to the trouble cleaning these plastic carbs simply because a new one is only $23.15 and comes with a new diaphragm.

Good Luck

Old 03-19-08, 06:22 PM
31YTech I did put the seat with the ring out toward the primer,still won't prime,I will go and buy a new carb,thanks for all the replies.

Jerry

Old 03-20-08, 01:46 PM
Probably a 494409 check valve kit would do the trick to solve your problem but 31 is correct, it's hard to service them when you can replace them for so little. Some are even less than $23, depending on your exact model and type.