craftsman eager-1

Old 03-21-08, 10:51 AM
craftsman eager-1

Reading all of the other posts about the eager 1 it seems like most of the trouble is with the carburetor. It seems like I have some of the same problems but not exactly. My mower wont start and when I pull the rip chord the engine goes tuh tuh tuh tuh and then doesn't start. Also after doing this a few times a white smoke comes out of the carburetor leaving through the air filter. The next thing is that after pulling a few times the rip chord will shoot back into the pulley and then slam your hand really bad.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-08, 11:55 AM
oh and also the fuel drips out of the thing below it sometimes. Not sure what its called. Idle screw? It is on the carberatur

Old 03-21-08, 02:57 PM
If the starter cord rips out of your hand bad, you might have a sheared flywheel key. There are many posts on removing the flywheel and key.

Old 03-21-08, 07:39 PM
I figured it out. I had to put the blade back on for it to work. Any ideas why this is? Is it a safety feature?

Old 03-21-08, 08:16 PM
The blade is part of the "rotating weight" & acts as part of the flywheel. Without the mass of the blade, The engine doesn't have enough inertia to carry it over the compression part of the 4 stroke cycle.. Roger

Old 03-22-08, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Tighidden View Post
Reading all of the other posts about the eager 1 it seems like most of the trouble is with the carburetor. It seems like I have some of the same problems but not exactly. My mower wont start and when I pull the rip chord the engine goes tuh tuh tuh tuh and then doesn't start. Also after doing this a few times a white smoke comes out of the carburetor leaving through the air filter. The next thing is that after pulling a few times the rip chord will shoot back into the pulley and then slam your hand really bad.
If you post the 143.xxxxxx engine model no. , we can give specifics on your carb.