Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine will not stay running

NJ

03-21-08, 05:15 PM   #1  
Engine will not stay running

Here is a curious one. I was bragiing about the incredible help I just rec'd and have got a new one. Only problem is I don't have all the engine specs. Seems to be a (Sears) Briggs & Stratton engine 4.0. Engine will start however if the mower is not tilted with the handle touching the ground, the engine will stop running. If you need specs, let me know and I will provide. Thanks again for the help.

Sponsored Links

FL

03-21-08, 06:07 PM   #2  
Engine model and type numbers would be helpful so we can see which carb is on this one.....

Also, I just got to ask;

What in the world made you put the handle on the ground to see if it would stay running ?

NY

03-23-08, 06:15 AM   #3  
Internal combustion engines need fuel to run. Of course i'm kidding around but...check your fuel level. I can't tell you how many customers overlook this when they call my shop for advice. Otherwise, if it is a Briggs engine the ID numbers will be on the blower shroud probably just above the spark plug.

NJ

03-27-08, 02:38 PM   #4  
Sorry for the delay. The posting was actually for my Dad. It;s his mower. In the meantime I found out some more info. It is a Sears craftsman mower. I could not find anything on the engine to indicate it is a Briggs & Stratton. My guess is it is Sears' brand. No codes, No nothing. According to Dad, fuel level was OK at the time of the incident. The gas tank on this mower is located on hte very fron of the engine. The reason for lowering the handle was the thought of low fuel at the time. When I looked at hte mower, it appears to be from the late 80's. Not sure if it's even worth it. Lowering the handle appears to have let gravity help out on the fuel delivery. Is there some sort of suction that needs to occur to get fuel from the tank to the engine?

Thanks.

NY

03-27-08, 05:17 PM   #5  
No suction is needed, it is a gravity feed system. You now know it's a Craftsman so you should at least have the chassis ID numbers. Post back with these please.

NJ

03-30-08, 08:45 AM   #6  
The only number we could find on the mower is as follows. 917-372221. Hopefully that is what you need.

Thanks again.

NJ

04-04-08, 06:06 AM   #7  
Anybody out there?

NY

04-04-08, 06:22 AM   #8  
You have a Tecumseh engine, model number 143.384102. You'll need to check to be sure you have proper fuel flow from the fuel tank AND the fuel line. The fuel line is tricky to remove from the carburetor but you will need to to check flow from such. If this appears okay then you most likely have a restriction in the carburetor and will then need to recondition it.

Search this Thread