Mower wont start

Old 03-22-08, 10:42 AM
Mower wont start

I have a Craftsman riding mower,It will not start.I checked & it's getting good spark & it's getting gas.It turns over but will not fire,I tried a small shot of starting fluid & it won't fire that way either.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-08, 12:23 PM
Did you take plug out & spray start fluid into hole-install new plug & try again?

Old 03-22-08, 02:54 PM
No I have not.I will pick up a plug & try it.

Old 03-23-08, 05:58 AM
Even if that does work you will need to address the problem. We can't help you well without ID numbers. Both the chassis and the engine will have their own numbers. Post back with all such numbers.

Old 03-23-08, 11:33 AM
The mower is older than the hills. The only number I have is a model number. 917.257281 12 hp Briggs & Stratton

Old 03-26-08, 07:28 PM
I would first take a compression test. It should be at least over 80 lbs. Then I would test the ignition strength with an inline tester...you may have spark but it may not be strong enough. We'll go further if need be but i don't think we'll need to. The Craftsman number provided no useful engine information but i see that it is a 12-horse flat head engine but, if needed to further diagnose and repair, look for the engine ID numbers on the flywheel shroud just above the spark plug and post back with these numbers.