B&S model 281707 carburetor problems

Old 03-23-08, 09:54 AM
B&S model 281707 carburetor problems

I have a B&S 281707 carburetor that was working fine and then all of the sudden stopped working. It will turn on but will not stay on. I took the carburetor apart and thouroughly cleaned it. I checked the oil and it smells very strongly of gasoline and is very "runny". After cleaning the carburetor I tried to start it. It will start and then the engine slows down as if it is going to turn off and then it fires back up again. If anybody knows what may be wrong with it please tell me. Any suggestions are more than appreciated and much needed.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-08, 11:32 AM
Old 03-23-08, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That link isn't exactly accurate, and I don't reccomend following the procedures outlined there or you may wind up with worse trouble than you already have. I suggest replacing the needle and if the needle isn't rubber-tipped, then replace the seat as well. If the needle IS rubber tipped, then just use a q-tip soaked with carb cleaner to clean down in the seat area, then re-assemble. Drain the gassy oil and refill with new oil before running it anymore.

Old 03-27-08, 05:34 PM
I'd say you didn't clean the carburetor sufficiently and need to soak it in a quality bath cleaner for 15-20 minutes stripped of all removable parts that come in a rebuild kit and any others that are plastic or rubber as a bath cleaner will ruin such parts. What you have, it seems, is what we call a governor hunt or a surging which indicates a lean carb issue whereas a proper soaking, cleaning and reconditioning should take care of your problem. Cleaning alone without a good chemical or without rebuilding it is generally not sufficient. Post back with your type and code numbers so i can look up the parts you will likely need to pickup at your local Briggs dealer.

Old 03-27-08, 08:48 PM
More than likely the cause of your problem is probably due to foreign debris. Carbs don't just stop working unless something clogs them.

Did you remove the main jet and thoroughly clean it ? Were there any adjustment screws that you may have "adjusted accidently" during cleaning ? I prefer to soak my carb over night to allow sufficient cleaning. Dissemble carb as much as possible and soak ALL parts, blow clean with compressed air.

There are some "openings" that have nothing to do with gas flow, but allows atmospheric pressure to enter the carb. Get a can of car cleaner and blow them out. They too, are important.

If you want to learn more about carbs, you should purchase a generic small engine book that describes the "concept" behind carbs and how they work. I did, and I've never been happier.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-08, 05:22 PM
The model number is 281707, the type is 0411-01, and the code is 91022011.

I will try the chemical bath and see what happens. You probably right in that I didn't clean it well enough. I've never worked on anything like this so thank you guys for all your helpful postings.Also, I took apart the bowl and messed with the float and the needle, that may also be a problem. There is no rubber in all the carburetor so I think the needle is brass.

Thanks

Old 03-31-08, 05:30 PM
I pretty sure I messed up the adjusment screws and I will for sure invest in one of those books on carburetors.

thanks.

Old 04-01-08, 06:25 AM
The Briggs part number for the rebuild kit is 394698 and, if needed, the float is part number 299707. Before you disassemble the carburetor, grab a hold of the throttle shaft and see if you have any side play (not end play) indicating wear in such shaft. If so you would then want to replace this as well, part number 491006.