Murray Riding Mower

Old 03-24-08, 03:08 PM
Murray Riding Mower

I have a riding mower which starts and runs perfectly. Of course this is only while my foot is on the brake/clutch. As soon as I remove my foot the mower dies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 03:33 PM
Make sure the seat safety switch is working properly, Use a multimeter set on ohms scale checking for opening closing as the seat is pushed in the center. Also make sure the wire plug connector is pushed on ALL the way, There is a switch inside the connector that must be activated as well.

Old 03-25-08, 09:23 AM
There is also a safety switch somewhere in your clutch/brake linkage that pervents you from starting it in gear. That's why you have to depress the clutch/brake pedal. That switch needs to be looked at too, for a bad connection or faulty switch.

Old 03-25-08, 11:37 AM
There are two type of safety switches on riding mowers.

"Start Safety" - deck disengaged, brake engaged
"Running Safety" - reverse, seat.

The safety switch on the brake is only used by the system when starting the mower. Once started, it has no effect what so ever on whether the mower continues to run. However, it will invoke the mower's "Running Safety" switches.

Some mowers have safety switches to prevent you from mowing in reverse. If you are in reverse when letting off the brake and the mower dies, this is the way it should work.

It could be possible that the reverse switch has failed.
To check, unplug the reverse and if the problem stops, you have your answer. On some mowers the safety switch is nothing more than a loop of metal, much like tweezers, that when you engage reverse, the shifting lever closes the contacts, thus killing the engine when the brake is not engaged. If you are not in reverse and the mower dies, it is possible that these are bent and making contact.

On some mowers, if you get off the mower with the brake disengaged, the mower will cut the engine. It's a safety mechanism in case you fall off, this way you won't commit hari-kari by lawn mower, or at the very least, damage your brand new Mercedes by watching from your fanny as your mower drives headlong into your car. This safety switch is located under the seat, in most instances it is the "tweezer" type of contacts. Some sophisticated mowers, and I say that while holding out my pinky, has a fancy-to-do electric switch. But I doubt your Murray has the fancy one.

If either one of those switches, where they are bolted to the chasis, make ground, it is like shorting the circuit which causes the engine to die when you release the brake.

The "tweezer" type have a rubber or plastic grommet or thingy to avoid grounding. Check these as well. Again, you can temporarily "unplug" these "running Safety" switches and see if the problem goes away. Disconnect all/both leads to any safety switch to properly check it.

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by Rain Man av; 03-25-08 at 01:11 PM. Reason: 'cause I'm a Moron
Old 03-25-08, 03:23 PM
Thanks

I will try these ideas out and let you know how it turns out

Old 03-25-08, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll go with the seat switch or the switch in the seat switch connector.

Old 03-31-08, 02:13 PM
Fixed it

Thanks for all the advice and I got it fixed! It was the seat safety switch. Again thanks for all the advice you gave. Have a great day!

Old 03-31-08, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wildkatz101 View Post
got it fixed! It was the seat safety switch.
Good Deal.....

Old 03-31-08, 11:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! Thanks for the update!

Old 04-03-08, 11:08 AM
Thumbs up

I love a happy ending!