Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Ariens doesn't throw snow far

NJ

03-30-08, 04:09 PM   #1  
Old Ariens doesn't throw snow far

It's a 1966 10M4, H40 engine with Tecumseh 4 hp. I inherited it from my father-in-law, machine had not been used in years. I had the carburetor replaced, and I recently replaced the main drive belt. Auger and fan both turn, but it only throws snow a few feet. What do I check next? Shear pins? Idler pulley tension? Is there some spring tension to check? I have read that these throw snow 10-20 feet or more! Mine throws 2-3 feet so I have to keep going over the same area. I have the owners and parts manuals but these are not very helpful. I am somewhat mechanically able. Otherwise, the machine is great, 4 forward and 1 reverse gear, starts easily, etc. If there is only one belt that drives both the auger and the fan, why would one work well and not the other?

Sponsored Links

MA

03-30-08, 04:44 PM   #2  
2 things to check 1st:

1) Impeller paddles being bent. When 2 of the 4 are bent it will effect thrownig distance.

2) Be sure engine is running at proper RPM's. Should be 3600 under load. I would bet more than likely this is your problem.

PS, I work on a lot of older Ariens, when tuned and running properly will throw snow well but 20' is pushing it, unless light and powdery. Chutes are just too wide and not tapered like new style. Here is a link to a site that has been discussed on here with favorable feedback.

http://smllengns.tripod.com/

PA

03-30-08, 07:31 PM   #3  
Also check the space between the impeller blades and the housing. Sometimes the housing gets bulged out over the years and if the gap is much over 1/4" that could be a problem.

MA

03-31-08, 04:48 AM   #4  
The air gap is what the above link addresses, it is a kit of 4 rubber paddles that screw onto impeller paddles to close the "gap".

Search this Thread