chainsaws

Old 03-31-08, 09:03 AM
chainsaws

I have two similiar chainsaws, one old pioneer and one old craftsman. Both have been sitting for perhaps a few years. I can't get either to run. One has gas to the diaphram and the other doesn't. I have to tip the saw back for gravity to bring gas to the carb while the other one has gas all the time. So, how is the gas brought to the carb- Vacume? Maybe I need new diaphrams on each. Of course, I have to get gas to the one. The one w/ no gas has a primer w/ a separate line to the tank and carb but, it doesn't push gas either.

Thanks,

Lance

Last edited by ommegang; 03-31-08 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-08, 09:20 AM
If they have been setting for a couple years you will probably need to replace the fuel lines and install new diaphrams after soaking them in a good bath type carb cleaner. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-01-08, 02:58 PM
The fuel lines are clear. I did clean out the gas tank and replaced the gas pick-up filter. But, I'm still not getting gas unless I tilt the saw back. I was curious to see the primer inlet not in the gas tank but the crank case. How does it get gas there or for that matter, how does the crankcase get it?

Thanks,

Lance

Old 04-01-08, 03:24 PM
Although they both may look similar, they're not. Please specify which one you are referring to when you speak of one or the other. And, furthermore, please post all ID numbers off of each one, this will better help us to help you. In the mean time, both saws have a carburetor with an integral fuel pump, crankcase vacuum actuates the fuel pump whether it be by a remote "fuel" line or directly by way of the intake manifold. Generally, if a saw has a rubber intake manifold then it will utilize a remote fuel line running to the pump side of the carb to actuate the pump. Gravity should play in absolutely no part of the equation unless you have a bowl type carburetor (which you will never find on a chainsaw). You must ensure that you have a clean, varnish-free, sturdy-diaphragms, carburetor along with absolutely good fuel/return/pump lines and a clean fuel filter.

Old 04-02-08, 06:44 AM
Pioneer model 2270. No gas to the carb unless I tilt it back. It is a rubber intake manifold. I cleaned out the primer too. It had a lot of varnish in it. But, when I prime it, I don't get any gas to the carb. Fuel lines are clear. I do not know how to proceed.

Thanks,

Lance

Search this Thread