Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

OHV Spark Plug or Not

CO

03-31-08, 01:00 PM   #1  
OHV Spark Plug or Not

I purchased a spark plug for a 'non-OHV' Honda engine. The salesman said that basically OHV was steele and the other was fiberglass.

I thought it was fiberglass so I said fiberglass when asked. Of course, when I get home I see that the engine has OHV on it.

So can the spark plug be used on the engine (effectively)?

Sponsored Links

FL

03-31-08, 03:26 PM   #2  
Most non OHV Honda engines use a short reach plug while the OHV use a long reach plug.

The use of a short reach plug in place of a long could reduce running efficiency and it WILL cause the excess threads not being used to carbon up. Once carboned up the threads must be chased before the proper long reach plug can be installed without damaging the plug/cylinder head threads.

The most common OHV plug for Honda is NGK BPR6ES, Would need your engine model number to verify the PROPER plug.

Call me old, But I haven't a clue what the steel/fiberglass bit is all about.....

MA

03-31-08, 03:36 PM   #3  
Huh?? Where does the steele/fiberglas thing come into play?

FL

03-31-08, 03:47 PM   #4  
Posted By: daswede Huh?? Where does the steele/fiberglas thing come into play?
After waking up the old mind, I believe he was talking about the plug wire connector (boot) ?

The one on a OHV is not fiberglass but made out of bakelite, But I still don't see how that would make a hill of beans difference as to determining what spark plug a engine takes. Anyone can swap that out at any time.

CO

04-01-08, 06:01 AM   #5  
I have not messed with this for twenty years myself. So after looking at all the spark plugs and noticing that all the Champion plugs did not have the same model as the one in my hand, I took a look at the two Huskys.

They looked exactly the same. Then I asked one of the representatives. He asked me if it was OHV. Probably the lack of my response was another cue that I did not know what he was referring to. He asked if the cover was fiberglass or steel. I thought for a few seconds, and figured probably fiberglass.

That was when I noticed that getting it home and getting ready to screw it in, I saw the OHV.

It sounds like the mower could at least start with this. I'll keep tugging every few hours, hoping that it will kick it.

I did have the gas emptied out when we moved two years ago, so been running the cord a bit to get the gas just to go through everything.

Search this Thread